Great Falls Maryland - The C&O Canals

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last few weekends I've been alternating between the Maryland side and the Virginia side. This weekend it was the Maryland side. Rather then conentrating on the Great Falls I concentrated on the smaller ones in the Canal's Levee's.

Here are a few from yesterday, as always Critique is welcome if you have an opinion on how to improve".

1. I think this one will look better as the fall colors start to come in more.

20130928 CandO Canal 159 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

2. This is a little bit more close up to show more of the waterfall itself and less of the brush

20130928 CandO Canal 173 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

3. This is one of my favorites simple because I incorporated so many lines into this picture. The bottom of the bricks where they meet the water, lines in the bricks themselves, the lines from the walls leading back to the Levee, the doors, and even the bridge in the background.

20130928 CandO Canal 75 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

4. I had been waiting for a good sunrise for weeks, and this was the one and only one I got. Soon after taking this picture the clouds rolled in and blocked the sun. It's a little dark, but I like the mood it creates.

20130928 CandO Canal 01-3 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
#3 didn't show up for me but the others are very nice, relaxing mood. Yes, can't wait for the leaves to change more here on Cape Cod also.
i am after technique at this point and #4 has amazing light and detail in foreground. I am struggling with this, can you explain how this shot is taken?
Nancy

Nancy... I put picture #3 back (the link was broken).

#4 was a timed exposure of 20 Seconds at F/8. The really amazing thing is, it was the first picture I took in the morning, and I couldn't focus on anything. I pretty much used the shadow outline as my focus point. The rest of the detail for the rocks was brought out in Lightroom using Exposure/Hightlight/Shadow brushes.

I like #1 and 2, I agree with your assessment that #1 will look even better inside of a week or two when the colors change more.

#3 is my favorite. The lines and the reflections are good and the subject is a bit different with the spillover instead of just the same old waterfall (not that I ever tire of regular waterfalls mind you).

#4 just doesn't quite do it for me. The color is so overall orange-red that it lacks color range. It sort of reminds me of an old 1980s film when they would put a red gel over the lens and call it a sunset.

Here's an edit I tried. Sometimes less is more- perhaps the colors you saw were really as red as your photo, but it looks more natural when you have a greater range of color in the other elements of the photo. Obviously the colors aren't quite right, but if you start with the RAW then you should be able to get a more natural looking result then this:
$__5l9bog9m.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Eclectix.. I do plan on going back out when the fall colors come rolling in, and can't wait for some snow too.

#3 my wife wants to make into a 16X20 and actually replace an old picture I took in Tenn about 20 years ago, I like that idea.

Yeah #4 is not going to be to everybody's taste. I was just thrilled after being out there 6 times in 3 weeks to actually see some color for a change. About 1/2 the people I've showed it to are in agreement with you.. too red.

How did you edit it?? Let me guess.. increased the exposure to it, increased the contrast, increased the shadows?

I like it, brings out more of the detail in the rocks and still has a nice warm feel to the sky.

Ok, I see #3 now, gorgeous. I can see why your wife wants it!
thanks for the info on #4. I just ordered Photomatix and PSE 11 today as my 1st pp products, can't wait.
Nancy

How did you edit it?? Let me guess.. increased the exposure to it, increased the contrast, increased the shadows?

I like it, brings out more of the detail in the rocks and still has a nice warm feel to the sky.

I did an automatic white balance correction at about 50%. Then I added an overlay layer at about 8% opacity with an orange-red color brushed over the sky just to make it a bit warmer.

Really like the canal pics, composition and framing is great

I like them all, but #3 FTW.

I have only been to the Virginia side. How is the Maryland side, can you get close to these smaller falls or did you use a longer focal length?

I have only been to the Virginia side. How is the Maryland side, can you get close to these smaller falls or did you use a longer focal length?

Andrew I shot these waterfall pictures with a 55-200 Kit lens. Shot #3 was shot at 195mm on that lens. So if you have a bigger lens you can get an more cropped tight picture of the Levee's they I did.

Number 3 is my favorite. Number 4 was too red for my liking. Nice work with the kit lens! It's all about skill. Thanks for sharing.

P.s can't wait till the colors change a bit more. I was wondering what it was looking like at Great Falls. Few more weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Number 3 is my favorite. Number 4 was too red for my liking. Nice work with the kit lens! It's all about skill. Thanks for sharing.

P.s can't wait till the colors change a bit more. I was wondering what it was looking like at Great Falls. Few more weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

Odagled, I was at the falls the last few weekends. I do think a few more weeks and the fall colors should start appearing. There's a Meetup group heading out to the Md side this weekend. Even if you don't go, you can see their pictures and see how the fall colors are doing.

Most reactions

Back