Great Horned Owl, Hawk, Warbler?

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was able to get out shooting again today at a local state park called Antelope island...went on a LONG hike to the top of a mountain hoping to see some big horned sheep and saw NOTHING...then caught these guys on my last stop before going home.

Adult Male Great Horned Owl (my second owl ever! I know, the branch in the face, but I had to choose between this and like 50 branches covering him almost completely from any other angle I figured it looked better with it in the picture than trying to clone it out in such an important area)
GHO1_zpsb608bd82.jpg

he let me get pretty close, I got a bunch of pics of him, they're all really similar, he didn't move much, some have a few more branches in the way, this is a 100% crop of the above shot to see his intense eyes:
GHO2_zps6f6a54c4.jpg

I *THINK* this is an immature coopers hawk...still not great at identifying some of these raptors
hawk_zpsd18fa06b.jpg

and this one I'm kindof stumped on, I think its a warbler of some kind. but I can't figure out what kind exactly, any help is appreciated.
small_bird_zps6e8d339c.jpg

Wow, the owl shot is fabulous!! The 100% crop is nuts!!
The hawk is gorgeous also :) The sparrow doesn't seem to fit with the other two, perhaps a personal thing though since they are all over the place here ;) But that owl... yum :) The branch really doesn't bother me in it since it blends with his plumage so well.

Yeah, I was about to say, that last one is a white-crowned sparrow, because I just got one of those myself this weekend and had to get someone to identify it.

I'm terrible at raptors--I've had it explained countless times, but for the life of me, when I see a picture of one, they all look the same--Cooper's, Red-Tailed, Sharp-Shinned, I just can't tell the difference. Especially when they're perched like that.

AWESOME shots though, especially the owl and the hawk. Man, I wish I could find me some owls!

Nice shots! The GHO is awesome.. I'm thinking falcon but can't tell for sure on my phone..

I agree on the immature coopers hawk.

Very nice pics, btw. The GHO is fabulous!

Thanks everyone, the hawk is a hard one, it might be a Merlin too, but they're not usually around here outside of winter, which is why I'm kind of leaning towards a juvi coopers...but it could be a Merlin that is just hanging around a little longer than normal.

I knew it looked familiar and falcon like! I goggled Taiga Merlin and ironically my shot on flickr was the first search results, lol! This was from last year. I should fix it one of these days...

Taiga Merlin by krisinct, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love the owl, i have not seen one of those in the wild yet

I knew it looked familiar and falcon like! I goggled Taiga Merlin and ironically my shot on flickr was the first search results, lol! This was from last year. I should fix it one of these days...

yeah, I'm starting to think it is a merlin, its been a colder than normal spring so far so I wouldn't be surprised if its just staying in the area longer than normal.

Thanks everyone, I was way excited to get the owl. in talking with one of the rangers, its a wild owl that has taken up residence on the island there, there's supposed to be a female around too, but I couldn't find her. I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm out there.

re; 2nd owl. still waiting for my 1st. All very nice. well done!

Most reactions

Back