Great read here. Warning graphic.

Suspect we'll be seeing more censored photos during the course of the WWI centennial. It's nothing new.

It's going on right now in Gaza. IDF and Hamas are waging a PR war, both using very sophisticated means. Israel's is probably smoother. But Hamas has the advantage of lots of visual imagery that a media source will jump at. To be specific, I can sit through a briefing by IDF intel officers about rocket trajectories indicating that they're coming from specific sites or neighborhoods that are then being targeted. Or I can go take pictures of bloody parents holding kids. I'm not trying to argue one side or the other, only that in a visual medium, images trump.

Images, like smells, hit us somewhere down below the intellectual level, where we react in a visceral sense.

I mentioned somewhere before that the first dead bodies I saw had been floating in a lukewarm ocean for a week before they were recovered. The sight and the smell were so awful that it was 3 hours before I could go into the autopsy suite. I would go up the elevator, get to the floor and then turn and walk downstairs immediately. The only way I was able to persist in being in the room was to keep my head tilted back a bit so I really couldn't see the bodies until, millimeter by millimeter, I forced myself to look.

Seeing the twisted remains of what we know was once a person is destructive to our own sense of immortality; it's the total opposite of how we feel when seeing a baby with all those small, unblemished working parts. When we see a baby or child killed, we react without thinking.
In war and politics (which is war by another means) thinking is always the most important thing to do.

Most reactions

Back