Green images

Steve Barrus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When shooting in the shade with lots of green around my subject, my jpg and raw files seem to have a green cast to them. I've tried to change color temperature but it doesn't seem to help much. Color temperature gives me more blue or yellow. How can I fix green. Usually using ambient light only.

Can you show us some examples?

Where are you seeing the green? Is it on the camera's LCD screen, on your computer monitor or both? If it's on your computer monitor, is it properly calibrated?

I am seeing the green cast on the Lcd and the monitor. My monitor is calibrated. My retoucher is getting after me because she hates trying to get the green cast out of my raw images.

Have you tried setting a custom WB?

In programs like Lightroom and ACR the white balance adjustment has sliders for both color temperature and tint. You can usually get this kind of color cast corrected with the tint slider. More complex adjustments can be made in the HSL/Color sections.

If this is a problem you are running into consistently, it might make sense to go ahead and pick up something like this...

Amazon.com: PhotoVision 14" Pocket One-Shot Digital Calibration Target with DVD, Collapsible Disc Exposure Aid for Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo

I use the smaller version and love it for tricky lighting conditions or when I want to make sure that I absolutely nail colors. It also doubles as a quick way to ensure you get the perfect exposure. So, for critical shots, I take a few extra seconds and guarantee my exposure and white balance are perfect. It's worth it to me.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The green is coming from light reflected from the surrounding plants. Since it's in addition to and different from the overall light color changing the global WB won't do any good.

What you'll have to do is to put your subject on a separate layer and either tweek the WB or use the hue/sat-green adjustment. This is a lot of work and is why your graphics person is griping.

The fix is to use a strobe, or reflect in some clean sunlight, to overpower the reflected off color light.

Good luck

I am seeing the green cast on the Lcd and the monitor. My monitor is calibrated. My retoucher is getting after me because she hates trying to get the green cast out of my raw images.

Sorry to be curious about an issue which is not on the main thrust of the post but, you don't understand about color reflected from the foliage and yet you have a retoucher?

Is this a person you've kidnapped and chained in your cellar as a photo slave?

Some people have money to burn, but come up short on technical photographic knowledge. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back