Greener Pastures

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today's sunset was incredible and full of color. Pulled off the road on the way home to the Bay Area, hopped a barbwire fence, and joined a couple cows in a remote corner of pasture to get this one. It was the first decent sunset I've seen since moving almost three months ago. The reds and pinks alone blew my mind.

Hope you all like it :) I'm starting to get the hang of the black ice (Big Stopper)

Greener Pastures
by TogaLive, on Flickr

ISO800
173 seconds
f/10 @ 17mm
Canon 6D
Lee .9 GND Soft
Lee Big Stopper

Are you SURE no illegal drugs were used in the making of this image?

Wow, that is intense, crazy color! I like the oak tree balance by that hillock or whatever it is on the right side!

Mah dude! KILLIN it with that Lee System!

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Happy to hear you guys like it :)

D-B-J, man, it is a killer system. I love the slight color casts it adds, and 3 minute exposures are blowing my mind. Still have quite a bit to learn. Thinking of a Christmas trip to Death Valley to really give it a go.

Raj, thanks so much for the nomination! :D Made my day!

Where do you live that has a purple sky?

I've been hounded about this elsewhere, but I'll entertain the question once again. First, a couple things that I'd expect you to consider.
1) Lee Big Stopper and Lee .9 GND Soft both add their own slight color casts, a slight blue to the black ice, and a slight magenta with the GND.
2) This is a 3 minute exposure right at the magenta/violet phase of a particularly vibrant sunset, which means all of those colors you normally see end up having an additive effect.
3) While I actually added no saturation or vibrance in post, the question still begs: why should I even care what color the sky "should" be? Any editing you do in post, even the curves applied in-camera for JPG generation, are entirely subjective. Photographers represent things as they are seen, and this is just that, but on a longer time-scale. Simply because someone isn't comfortable with what they see in a photo, or the timescale of it, doesn't mean that photo isn't representative of reality.

On the other hand, if you are not being sarcastic and actually want to know where the photo was taken, this was just before blue hour kicked in, off Vargas Rd along I-680 West, technically in Fremont, CA.

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Happy to hear you guys like it :).

Apologies. I did not mean in a bad way, allthough slight sarcasm was intended as I am jealous I never see a sunset like this so yes I did actually want to know where. :)

Thanks for all the feedback folks! Happy to hear you guys like it :).

Apologies. I did not mean in a bad way, allthough slight sarcasm was intended as I am jealous I never see a sunset like this so yes I did actually want to know where. :)

My bad if I was a bit affront there, didn't mean it that way :)

Most reactions

Back