Greetings from Mammoth!

Snowtographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, my name is Theo, and I am a 19 year old college student. I grew up in San Diego, and I am going to community college here in Mammoth. I think I am one of the few people fortunate enough to be truly living their dream.

In addition to school, I volunteer as a coach for the high school snowboard race team, and I work full time as a snow sports action photographer. Occasionally I get assigned to do portrait work, but mostly I spend about 5 hours a day on the snow taking pictures and snowboarding. I LOVE my job, it's really a dream come true. The pay isn't great, but I get upset when I have to leave at the end of the day, and I'm always excited to go back the next morning. I take anywhere from 2000 to 2500 pictures a day when I'm working, I'm just glad I'm not the one paying the bill when the shutter goes out after a few months. :lol:

I have been into photography since about 2009, when I started with my mom's old Olympus OM10 SLR. Between then and now I've developed about 40 rolls of Tri-X in my bathroom darkroom.

Last year I saw a screaming deal on a Nikon N80, so I picked up my first AF camera. I love the N80 and have a ton of fun with it- it's a very flexible camera with a lot of functions and GREAT ergonomics and it weighs next to nothing.

Last Wednesday I was riding a very big and fun racing snowboard and crashed around 45 miles per hour, and snapped my tib/fib. I'm off the snow for the rest of the season and I probably will only be shooting portraits at work now. Of course, I've been doing a bunch of web browsing and I came across ANOTHER screaming deal, this time on a D3000 with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses, so I pulled the trigger. This is my first DSLR, I have a lot of experience using Nikon DSLRs at work, and my N80's controls are very similar, so it's been a very fast process to learn how everything works on my D3000. I love it already- I'm aware of its shortcomings, like the high ISO performance is very disappointing, and I can't use AF on any of my older lenses, and the screen resolution is crappy, but it's incredibly light and does everything else I want. It would be nice if the lenses were a bit faster, but most of my shooting will be outside during the daytime. I'll probably still use my film gear for indoor portraits and stuff. My OM10 taught me truly how little your gear has to do with your pictures. As long as a camera lets me change the shutter speed, iso, and aperature, I am happy with it!

I have a lot of free time on my hands now, going from working full time as a photog and snowboarding every day to being mostly confined to bed, and that's how I came across these forums. I hope I can make myself an asset to the community with my experience, and I can't wait to learn from everyone, I've already learned a bunch just from poking around.

Theo

Welcome to the site.

Glad to have you, show us some of your work!

Here is a picture taken with 99 cent store film in my N80 with a 28-80. 99 cent store film is my favorite because it's wildly inconsistent and the colors almost never look natural. This picture was off one of the few GOOD rolls.

6964524971_0e634dfd0c_b.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum Theo!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back