Greetings

macintoshsauce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

I decided to join this great forum after doing a lot of reading here over the past few days. There is a lot of very useful information here from what I can tell, so I decided to also become a supporting member. :)

At the end of next month I am going to be purchasing my first DSLR. I've been doing a lot of reading and I've narrowed it down to these ones:

• Canon EOS Rebel T5i (APS-C)
  • Canon EOS 70D (APS-C) - COMING SOON! :)
  • Canon EOS 6D (35mm FF)
  • Nikon D7100 (APS-C)
  • Nikon D600 (35mm FF)

I have a 35mm film SLR camera from Sigma, but I haven't used it in a long time and It is still mint condition. So, since I am used to the full frame pictures I made with it, I really would love to go right into the digital FF world.

I'm thinking of going with the Canon EOS 6D if I go FF, because I have read it is very good in low light (something important to me for night time pics). I would consider the Nikon D600, but the sensor dust/oil issues I am reading about are really making me scared to invest in Nikon. I would consider going APS-C if the upcoming Canon EOS 70D is really good. From the leaked specs I am reading it looks pretty decent. If I went a Canon APS-C body to start with I would only buy Canon's EF L lenses, so they could be used with a FF body later on.

What I need is some honest advice from you. :) I am open to buying from Canon, Nikon, Sony, since I am getting into the DSLR world for the first time.

Here are my impressions, and please correct me if I am wrong. :)

1. Canon has a better selection of lenses and of better build quality
  2. Nikon doesn't quite have the range of lenses and are of lesser build quality
  3. Canon seems to be a little more conservative-thinking in the way they produce DSLR bodies and lenses. Note: This can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. :)
  4. Canon DSLR bodies and lenses are made in Japan
  5. Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses are made in Thailand and China
  6. Canon and Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses are more readily available than those from Sony. Note: I have yet to see a Sony body/lens anywhere in a local store. :/
  7. Canon has better customer service than Nikon (from what I've been reading)
  8. Prices for lenses seem to be cheaper with Canon
  9. Canon EF L lens series is dust/moisture proof. Note: I don't know if Nikon's FX lenses are dust/moisture proof.

The other day I happened to be at Best Buy, since my wife had to get something from there. So, I went to check out all four of the models above. Initially, I was not impressed with the build quality of Nikon's lenses. They seem so cheap when compared to the Canon EF L lens series, and even their EF-S lenses. The Canon EOS Rebel T5i felt nice in my hands, but my right pinky was hanging down past the bottom of the camera body. Since I would be getting a vertical grip for any camera body that really is a mute point, but I just thought I'd mention it. The Canon EOS 6D body felt so comfortable in my hands, and my right pinky was right along the bottom edge of the body. Nice!

I will have enough money saved up at the end of July to buy my first DSLR. Just wondering which way to go. Canon or Nikon. Sony? Sony seems a bit unstable lately by canceling the replacements for the A77 and A99 bodies. That's my impression, and it makes me think twice about investing in Sony camera gear.

Most likely, I will be buying the camera kit from B&H, since they seem to have the best selection of camera gear from what I've seen online. I've never dealt with them before though. No, I will not be buying my camera kit from Best Buy, because I personally cannot stand that store and the salespeople that were hounding me every two minutes while trying to look at camera gear. That turned me off from them completely.

Regarding tripods... I have already decided which one I want to get. :) MeFOTO GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod Kits | Available in Two Colors and Carbon Fiber or Aluminum | Converts to Monopod (Carbon Fiber - Titanium). I'm going to Europe for 2-3 months with my wife in Summer 2014, so I want a light, heavy duty tripod.

My budget is $2000-$2500 for the camera body and kit lens. The camera bag and tripod I'm looking at are not included in this amount. Also, if I am going to go with the Canon EOS 6D, I'd have to get an external flash.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

This reads more like a TROLL...

1. Canon has a better selection of lenses and of better build quality < hahaha really?

2. Nikon doesn't quite have the range of lenses and are of lesser build quality < Seriously NOT TRUE! lol! Canon / Nikon Lens ratings.. DxOMark - Camera Lens Ratings Top 8 lenses tested are all Nikon

3. Canon seems to be a little more conservative-thinking in the way they produce DSLR bodies and lenses < And their sensor technology is several years (5?) behind Nikon! Best Sensor ratings go to NIKON 7 out of 10 DXOMark sensor rankings: Nikon owns seven of top ten positions for DSLRs!

4. Canon DSLR bodies and lenses are made in Japan AND Taiwan! ;)

5. Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses are made in Thailand and China < Entry level Bodies only (With Nikon Japanese equipment, and to Nikon Japan specs).. Professional bodies made in Japan

6. Canon and Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses are more readily available than those from Sony. Note: I have yet to see a Sony body/lens anywhere. :/ < Sony has been trying to capture market share, especially since their stock is so low it was rated JUNK Sony and Panasonic cut to junk status by Fitch - Telegraph but still don't have much of the market! The new A99 seems decent.. but most of their other bodies are very noisy at high ISO, and some have issues in lowlight with the EVF.

7. Canon has better customer service than Nikon (from what I've been reading) < about 50/50 unless you are reading Canon biased material

Best three cameras of 2012 DPReview (Canon is in last place, Sony didn't even make the cut) Best Camera of 2012: And the Winner is...: Digital Photography Review

Last edited:
Welcome, macintoshsauce! You have posted some rather provocative statements, for sure!

Whenever someone asks on here we usually say "Nikon or Canon" unless someone is utterly smitten with Sony. Good that you held one in your hands, as that is one perception that someone else cannot project onto you.

Good luck!

I am just giving my honest opinions on what I've read and held in my own two hands. Your response that I'm trolling is a little rude IMO.

Last edited:
Welcome, macintoshsauce! You have posted some rather provocative statements, for sure!

Whenever someone asks on here we usually say "Nikon or Canon" unless someone is utterly smitten with Sony. Good that you held one in your hands, as that is one perception that someone else cannot project onto you.

Good luck!

Thanks. Not trying to be provocative at all. Just wondering about what I've read and held in my hands. :)

Last edited:
I am just giving my honest opinions on what I've read and held in my own two hands. Your response that I'm trolling is a little rude IMO.

We get Trolls like that all the time (so yes.. we wonder when we see those types of posts!)! And I didn't say it WAS a troll... I said it reads LIKE one! There is a difference! ;)

I will be curious to read your comments on the links and information I posted!

Wow.. and I missed it all. :lmao:

Uh.. welcome to the site!

1. Canon has a better selection of lenses and of better build quality < hahaha really?

2. Nikon doesn't quite have the range of lenses and are of lesser build quality < Seriously NOT TRUE! lol! Canon / Nikon Lens ratings.. DxOMark - Camera Lens Ratings Top 8 lenses tested are all Nikon

3. Canon seems to be a little more conservative-thinking in the way they produce DSLR bodies and lenses < And their sensor technology is several years (5?) behind Nikon! Best Sensor ratings go to NIKON 7 out of 10 DXOMark sensor rankings: Nikon owns seven of top ten positions for DSLRs!

4. Canon DSLR bodies and lenses are made in Japan AND Taiwan! ;)

5. Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses are made in Thailand and China < Entry level Bodies only (With Nikon Japanese equipment, and to Nikon Japan specs).. Professional bodies made in Japan

6. Canon and Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses are more readily available than those from Sony. Note: I have yet to see a Sony body/lens anywhere. :/ < Sony has been trying to capture market share, especially since their stock is so low it was rated JUNK Sony and Panasonic cut to junk status by Fitch - Telegraph but still don't have much of the market! The new A99 seems decent.. but most of their other bodies are very noisy at high ISO, and some have issues in lowlight with the EVF.

7. Canon has better customer service than Nikon (from what I've been reading) < about 50/50 unless you are reading Canon biased material

Best three cameras of 2012 DPReview (Canon is in last place, Sony didn't even make the cut) Best Camera of 2012: And the Winner is...: Digital Photography Review

Thank you for the corrections to my opinions and the DxOMark links. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the corrections to my opinions and the DxOMark links. :)

Just trying to keep it real! No offense intended, seriously! Some of us have been using cameras for decades... I think we are somewhat obligated to share information, and help teach.

Just trying to keep it real! No offense intended, seriously! Some of us have been using cameras for decades... I think we are somewhat obligated to share information, and help teach.

No offense taken. :) I am going to have to read up a bit more on the Nikon D7100 and the D600. The D7100 has one feature I really like - no AA filter. Question... If I got a D7100 could I use the FX (35mm FF) format lenses? Are they compatible with the DX body (APS-C) of the D7100?

Last edited:

No offensive taken. :) I am going to have to read up a bit more on the Nikon D7100 and the D600. The D7100 has one feature I really like - no AA filter. Question... If I got a D7100 could I use the FX (35mm FF) format lenses? Are they compatible with the DX body (APS-C) of the D7100?

FX lenses will fit all modern Nikon bodies..... and work very well with the crop sensor bodies. The DX lenses are typically cheaper, and built cheaper... but some of those do very well also. One big advantage of FX lenses is if you ever upgrade to an FX body, you aren't stuck having to sell a bunch of DX lenses.

Most reactions

Back