Grips....?

Bolthead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you get what you pay for, as far as grips go? I've seem them go from $30 to $80 on Adorama.

I have no idea on the aftermarket grips but the OEM ones are as solid as the body and add functionality as well as allowing use of AA batteries ;)

I have been using a Mieke aftermarket (BG-E8) grip on my 600D and its been a treat. I've held it side by side with the OEM Canon grip and actually thought the Mieke felt better in the hand/sturdier. Total cost? $25 ;)

I have purchased 3 Opteka grips for Canon dSLR's and like each of them quite well and have had no problems what so ever. They, too, come with an adapter that will allow you to use AA's if you are in a pinch. They feel rock solid and fit my hand well. Since they hold two batteries, I have never had to switch in the middle of a day. Some, on here, have mentioned that after a few years of use, the letherette covering starts to peel off, but I have one that has had a lot of use for over 5 years and it is as nice as the day I bought it. They MAY not be quite as nice as OEM, but for 30% 0f the price.....? I doubt if they are that much better.

Grips vary a little depending on what brand you're using and what grip you go for.

Own brand tend to give the best fit and build quality, whilst 3rd party can be almost just as good and will often offer additional button controls over the standard.

Canon and Nikon also have a key difference in that some Nikon camera bodies will get increased FPS performance when a grip is attached to the body. This is not all Nikon bodies and only a range of them; I'm also unsure if this stands true for the 3rd party options on those bodies.

$30 to $80 is 3rd party grip pricing. Camera maker grips generally cost more.

Read you camera's warranty terms closely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back