group 1 c & c

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, here are some pictures with my new lens..24-70mm f/2.8L

This first one was my friend's boy at the park on the top of the slide. I shot it from below. Do you think the leg looks funny?

f/4, 1/400, ISO 250 @68mm

3632917160_a1162fd21c_b.jpg

This second shot was taken at a birthday party. This little boy put the firefighter's hat on for a second and I shot the picture. I wanted him to do it again when the people behind him were gone, but he didn't know me and was a little nervous so he ran off. This is as good as it gets.

f/3.5, 1/80, ISO 160 @52mm
I feel lucky that this one is in focus at 1/80...

3632916402_12ab2054b9_b.jpg

These last two were taken at the beach. My daughter was dancing with this piece of seaweed. No need to critique both. Just wondering about the Rule of Thirds on these. The first one has my daughter to the left a bit and the horizon is cut nicely into thirds, but the second, my daughter is more centered, but I felt like the line of the seaweed helped offset it. What do you think?

3632101053_14e551bd82_b.jpg

3632101933_b20c8c2d0e_b.jpg

Thanks again for all your input!!

The monitor I am viewing these on is trash, so bear with me.

1. In the first image, the scale is troubling me a bit (maybe because of where it is cropped). The top half of the image does not seem balanced with the bottom, not sure how else to put that though...

2. I like this image. Personally, I am not distracted by the background, and although the boy doesnt have much of an expression, it's a powerful unexpression :)

3/4. The first is a nice image with the subject well-placed. However, I love the position (stance) of the subject in 4, it's perfect! The composition with the shoreline is definitely a plus as well. I was not sure about the mostly negative space at the bottom of 4, but the more I look at it, the more I realize it's a great place for the eyes to begin their view.

Thank you for sharing :thumbup:

*oh, and I forgot to add that I am jealous of your new lens! Did you trade the 24-105 for it?*

Last edited:
#1: I like it, but agree with you on the legs (and the crocs peeking in the bottom). Nothing a little crop can't take care of. The lighting is great, though, I'm a fan of color so I took the liberty to show you a couple of crops I might consider and I saturated the greens and reds a bit more to bring out the color in his shirt and skin. Just my take. Hope you don't mind! Great setup, good use of the rule of thirds and a pretty great shot of a cute kid! :thumbup:

3632917160_a1162fd21c_b1.jpg

3632917160_a1162fd21c_b2.jpg

#2 is also a good shot as far as setup is concerned. Lighting and exposure look fine to me, but I, unlike pp, am bothered by the background. What can you do though? That's the trouble with taking pictures of kids! :)

I like the 4th better than the 3rd. I think you're right about the seaweed. The subject doesn't necessarily need to be in one of the corners for the rule of thirds. In the fourth you succeeded in putting your horizon line in the upper third of the photo and with your daughter seeming to be walking from the left third of the photo it works. Awesome picture, great colors, exposure, etc. I LOVE it!

The monitor I am viewing these on is trash, so bear with me.

1. In the first image, the scale is troubling me a bit (maybe because of where it is cropped). The top half of the image does not seem balanced with the bottom, not sure how else to put that though...

2. I like this image. Personally, I am not distracted by the background, and although the boy doesnt have much of an expression, it's a powerful unexpression :)

3/4. The first is a nice image with the subject well-placed. However, I love the position (stance) of the subject in 4, it's perfect! The composition with the shoreline is definitely a plus as well. I was not sure about the mostly negative space at the bottom of 4, but the more I look at it, the more I realize it's a great place for the eyes to begin their view.

Thank you for sharing :thumbup:

*oh, and I forgot to add that I am jealous of your new lens! Did you trade the 24-105 for it?*

Thanks! I sold my 24-105 on Craigslist and bought the 24-70. It was a good decision.

#1: I like it, but agree with you on the legs (and the crocs peeking in the bottom). Nothing a little crop can't take care of. The lighting is great, though, I'm a fan of color so I took the liberty to show you a couple of crops I might consider and I saturated the greens and reds a bit more to bring out the color in his shirt and skin. Just my take. Hope you don't mind! Great setup, good use of the rule of thirds and a pretty great shot of a cute kid! :thumbup:

3632917160_a1162fd21c_b1.jpg

3632917160_a1162fd21c_b2.jpg

#2 is also a good shot as far as setup is concerned. Lighting and exposure look fine to me, but I, unlike pp, am bothered by the background. What can you do though? That's the trouble with taking pictures of kids! :)

I like the 4th better than the 3rd. I think you're right about the seaweed. The subject doesn't necessarily need to be in one of the corners for the rule of thirds. In the fourth you succeeded in putting your horizon line in the upper third of the photo and with your daughter seeming to be walking from the left third of the photo it works. Awesome picture, great colors, exposure, etc. I LOVE it!

Thanks so much for the edits of the picture. It is MUCH, MUCH better this way! And thanks for your comments.

This is yet another confimation for me to get the 24-70 over the 24-105. I hear that the 24-70 produces much better bokeh too.

Glad it worked out for you, I remember you were not satisfied with the images it was producing.

On the first photo, I like how his eyes are in focus but to me the photo is a little awkward. I really like the second crop that sjluto did. I really like the second one. I don't think the person in the background is too distracting but would have been nice if they hadn't been there. As for the last two photos I like the second one better. :)

This is yet another confimation for me to get the 24-70 over the 24-105. I hear that the 24-70 produces much better bokeh too.

Glad it worked out for you, I remember you were not satisfied with the images it was producing.

I am so much happier with the 24-70. Not just the quality of the picture, but I LOVE the f/2.8 so much more than the f/4. It makes a big difference!

Definitely go with this lens if you were trying to decide between the two.

On the first photo, I like how his eyes are in focus but to me the photo is a little awkward. I really like the second crop that sjluto did. I really like the second one. I don't think the person in the background is too distracting but would have been nice if they hadn't been there. As for the last two photos I like the second one better. :)

thanks!

I am so much happier with the 24-70. Not just the quality of the picture, but I LOVE the f/2.8 so much more than the f/4. It makes a big difference!

Definitely go with this lens if you were trying to decide between the two.

I will probably be getting one within the next couple of weeks. I was holding off because I was not 100% sure which I would go with (simply because the 24-105 has IS and I could use the extra focal length since my current telephoto leaves a lot to be desired). However, from what I am hearing, the 24-70 really seems to be the better option.

Thanks for your input, it's good to hear that from someone who has used them both.

I actually had the 24-105 for a couple of years and then last Christmas I bought the 24-70. I loved it, but it overlapped so much with my 24-105 that I felt guilty for buying it and returned it as soon as I got it. I made this decision because I really wanted the IS and I have the 50mm f/1.8 so I knew I could use THAT lens for low light situations. However, my 24-105 was shooting kind of soft and it BUGGED me!! I don't know if it could have been calibrated or what, but after learning from a local child/family photographer that she uses the 24-70 most often with HER pictures (and they are always tack-sharp and amazing) I knew it was time to just get rid of the 24-105. The only hesitation was the IS feature. Such a bummer they don't have it on the 24-70 isn't it.

Great shots! And the focus looks much better than some of your past photos! I think the revised crop of the first looks better, but I would consider warming him up a bit as he looks pale to the point of seeing some of the veins in his face. I just did a shoot with two little kids and the youngest had the same issue so I did a little bit of patching to remove some of the darker areas and added some warmth through a warming filter layer.

Your second is great though, I love the light in his eyes. The light circles you have in the upper right are quite nice too! I would've considered wider framing for it, but it looks nice as you have it.

The shots of your daughter are hilarious. Every time I'm at a beach with seaweed washed up, there is always some kid around whipping it around! The photos are nice, but the framing looks odd, like a crop from a larger shot. I don't know what the scenery was like but it might have helped to incorporate more of that in the frame. Good work though, I like your set!

Most reactions

Back