Group photos

Derrel, fess up now. It's not because it's boring, but because the attention span of the average North American fan is maybe 10 seconds max, and after that their mind starts to wander. That's why most successful NA sports are all spurts of activity, with gaps perfect for advertising and uplifting organ music and a little pom-pom shaking. And if you think football (also known in NA as "soccer") is boring, what would you call baseball? I've taken power naps between pitches! Of course, I have absolutely no knowledge of your personal sporting preferences, so these comments are applicable to the general population. (scurries off to hide in a foxhole before the artillery barrage starts:D)...

American Football didn't used to be like that. It's slowly evolved into that due to advertisers. It was never constant action like basketball but it was much quicker than it is now. Baseball on the other hand is exceptionally boring. To watch or even play. I'm not a baseball fan at all. I'd rather play and or watch golf and I'm not a big golf guy, so that's how boring I find it. What the rest of the world calls football I know very little about so it's difficult to follow the game. If I knew what was going on it might be more interesting but as it is it's just a bunch of people running around in shorts to me. It does seem to have a decent pace but it's nowhere near as fast paced as basketball is.

Oh, and regarding the topic: Most people suck, so when you have larger groups of them you essentially have a larger group of people that suck. Getting people that suck to synchronize faking they don't suck can at times be impossible.

Had a similar situation occur recently at a wedding I was shooting. Was trying to get group shots after the ceremony. Had about 40 mins total and had to do about a dozen different shots. There are about 20 people behind me yelling out directions. I had to keep reminding people to look at my camera. I was lucky if I got one shot to be decent out of each grouping. I had to scrap a few of the groupings because of this. had a blinker too. He was the best man too. He ruined at least 6 different photos this way. Did not manage to get even one decent shot of him at all.

I will definitely start using your line about, "open your eyes wide." And this is why.................

brides maids bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

After the I do's, try clearing everybody out except the ones you're going to shoot then start with the group shot and then dismiss everybody as you finish with them. As the group gets smaller and smaller the easier it will be to work without distractions. This is also the fastest way I've found to not only make sure I get every shot I need but to actually get through. Everybody wants to get to the reception and this way seems like you're letting them out to recess.

If you can't manage that for whatever reason, take charge and tell everybody they'll get a chance for a shot after You are through. Take your shot and then tell your subject to relax (so that they move around a little and uncle bob won't get the same exact shot as you) and then step back and let them paparazzi, move on to the next shot and so on. Understand that in a situation like this there will be other great shots- it always happens- but if you're smart you'll already have been paid. If you're going to have to fight a crowd anyway, fight it on your own terms.

One thing that I do is to tell my subjects to looks at my left foot and then at the lens on three. You seldom blink when moving your focus and this works pretty well.

Derrel, fess up now. It's not because it's boring, but because the attention span of the average North American fan is maybe 10 seconds max, and after that their mind starts to wander. That's why most successful NA sports are all spurts of activity, with gaps perfect for advertising and uplifting organ music and a little pom-pom shaking. And if you think football (also known in NA as "soccer") is boring, what would you call baseball? I've taken power naps between pitches! Of course, I have absolutely no knowledge of your personal sporting preferences, so these comments are applicable to the general population. (scurries off to hide in a foxhole before the artillery barrage starts:D)...

It's not that soccer is boring so much it's that it's frustrating. It's like buying a D3s and never taking it out of ISO 400.

Maddening I tell you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back