Photography vs. Art

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to try and lead a discussion based on the topic of photography as an art. I have thought about this topic a lot, and have many questions to ask you all. I thought it may flow better if I began with one at a time.

Art = the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

1.) Do you believe that a good photographer is also a good artist? Consequently, do you believe that a good photograph is automatically a piece of art?
(Good photographer = one who can produce properly exposed photos regardless of anything else)
(Good photograph = one that is properly exposed regardless of any other feature)

2.) Do you pursue photography so that you can take good pictures? Or do you pursue photography as a means of expressing yourself artistically?

Last edited:
No, on both counts. I believe that a good photographer CAN BE a good artist and I believe that a good photograph CAN BE art, however I do not believe that either case is automatically true.

I am of the opinion of yes to both.

What is your definition of Art?

SCraig said:
No, on both counts. I believe that a good photographer CAN BE a good artist and I believe that a good photograph CAN BE art, however I do not believe that either case is automatically true.

I also agree, I think thought, intention and execution combined make a photographer an artist. A photograph becomes art when it elicits the intended response from the viewer.

You are going to find that there are many opinions on this topic and at the end of the day you will be where you started with your first post. Its all opinion and there is no fact in opinion. Just like the saying one mans trash is another mans treasure. What one see's as art another see's as non art or crappy. You take an artistic person who can draw and paint and he paints a beautiful painting and then you get another man who gets a few buckets of paint and throughs it at a canvas and the paint splatters and creates a pattern that now is called art...is it? Did the artist know my throwing the paint what pattern it would make like the the other artist envisioned in his mind what he wanted to paint? They both get hung in galleries and both get sold....At the end of the day it does not matter what we think it matters what the person viewing the photo or painting or what ever other form of art thinks.

With that said I will give my opinion. Photography is a form of Art. It is an artistic expression of one self. IT starts as seeing the photo. Then the processing to bring out the photo. End results are a nice photo to be admired.

There is a difference though to me a snap shot and a thought out photo. At the same time some thought out photos sometimes look like snap shots.

Its a tough topic because its all based on opinion...

Cheers...

Does art imitate life or life imitate art?

I believe photography is an art. Period.

Just because one can operate a camera well (a good technical photographer)... does not mean that one automatically takes artistic photos. Technically good is not Artfully good!

Just as one can take poor photos technically... but they can be artistically framed and compositionally pleasing.

It takes both the technical capability (understanding your tools and how to use them) combined with a knowledge of art / rules / guidelines / posing / etc... or very good instincts along these lines, to be what I would call a real Photographer!

I do believe that photography is an art... but one can be a photographer without being an artist also...

You are going to find that there are many opinions on this topic and at the end of the day you will be where you started with your first post. Its all opinion and there is no fact in opinion. Just like the saying one mans trash is another mans treasure. What one see's as art another see's as non art or crappy. You take an artistic person who can draw and paint and he paints a beautiful painting and then you get another man who gets a few buckets of paint and throughs it at a canvas and the paint splatters and creates a pattern that now is called art...is it? Did the artist know my throwing the paint what pattern it would make like the the other artist envisioned in his mind what he wanted to paint? They both get hung in galleries and both get sold....At the end of the day it does not matter what we think it matters what the person viewing the photo or painting or what ever other form of art thinks.

With that said I will give my opinion. Photography is a form of Art. It is an artistic expression of one self. IT starts as seeing the photo. Then the processing to bring out the photo. End results are a nice photo to be admired.

There is a difference though to me a snap shot and a thought out photo. At the same time some thought out photos sometimes look like snap shots.

Its a tough topic because its all based on opinion...

Cheers...

Opinion are exactly what I was looking for. I know there are no Gods or deities attending this forum. ;)

What is your definition of Art?

the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination,typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producingworks to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotionalpower:

I've updated with a clear definition of art for us all to work with. So, with that said, has anyones opinions changed?

Nope. Mine is even more certain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back