Guess I have to learn flash photography now!

zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, cool! Watched your video. Looks like you're headed down that road of studio flash lighting!

Not bad at all for a first go!!! Both look slightly under (maybe ~1/3 stop) exposed, but there's a nice transition from highlight to shadow, no blown highlights or blocked shadows, and you're clearly recognizable (which is not necessarily a good thing...). You may want to consider putting on light on the background just to provide some separation, but overall? You should be pleased.

Yes. Both Jr and I received a speed light for Christmas with an RF transmitter and 2 receivers. He also received an umbrella stand kit for them. I though this would round us out to learn as much as we can about different type of lighting and modifiers.
Should keep us busy for a while.

Not bad at all for a first go!!! Both look slightly under (maybe ~1/3 stop) under-exposed, but there's a nice transition from highlight to shadow, no blown highlights or blocked shadows, and you're clearly recognizable (which is not necessarily a good thing...). You may want to consider putting on light on the background just to provide some separation, but overall? You should be pleased.
Excellent tips.
I imagine I'll be needing a few more as time goes on. Thank you.

One thing that looks good to me is that all four flashes appear to be basically, the same. I think there's a lot to be said for having "the same, exact flash" times four, or five. We now shoot digital, so 100 Watt-seconds in plenty of power indoors with the new d-slrs that make 200 ISO images that look like Kodachrome 25 ASA slide film. But the other thing is that identical units have the same power, so ratios are easy to establish, and it's easy to set one at Full, another at half, and then the weaker lights at say, 1/4 or 1/8 power, maybe even 1/16 power.

You also kind of learn what setting does "what", with your lights, in your studio area...you kinda develop a feel for how powerful one light is with Box X, or with Reflector A, and whatnot. For almost a decade, I had only three of the same, exact light units. Brown Line M11 units. And it kept the learning process very simple, by eliminating variables.

Have fun with this new stuff!

Oh, and the next video soundtrack song: The Macarena? Maybe? Or, Who Let the Dogs Out, by Baja Men?

Speaking of learning flash photography, this is a good, inspirational video, by a guy you can really trust, Tony Corbell. Tony was an early Dean Collins employee, and has been a Hasselblad-employed brand ambassador, has at least one book that I bought, did a great three-day CreativeLive.com webinar that I watched, and has lately been working with some GOOD brands, on the web. He is a seasoned, seasoned pro. And this video is really good, very fun to watch! And no, you do NOT need the giant light unit he is sort of plugging. But please, please DO check out what a softbox looks like when its light is shined through a large diffusion scrim! You could make one of those big scrims at the fabric store for about $20! Using it between two light stands makes the entire set-up cost more than if, say, the fabric were to be stretched over a PVC pipe frame, in the DIY TinkerTubes style.

Method #7 begins at 12:36, with the 6 x 6 foot translucent fabric scrim.

Last edited:
Yes they are all the same 160 Watt-second units.
Agree that this should make it easier to see what different modifiers/situations can do to an image.

As for music..... how's this?

I'd say that cures the exposure issue nicely. If I were posing you, I would have had you lean forward very slightly and drop your chin just a tad.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back