Guess what?

AHHHHHHHH....so much change around here

The Matt's are switching, and Jon is out altogether....my gosh my head is gonna explode.

Actually I think it's really cool that everyone is trying new things, and I know Jon will be back soon with even more impressive shots ;)

Congrats on the new equipment Matt, I am sure you'll catch on quick and stun us all!!!

My space is the corner of my basement. I have an old shower that's not used anymore, and I thought I'd buy some plywood and wall off the area a bit more. There's a glass block window that I'll probably just board up and seal off as best I can. I suppose the possibility of drilling through the wall to create ventillation is there, but I can't afford anything earth shattering right now.

While I've got your attention, what's one good book you'd recommend that will list everything I need and get me started developing and printing? (I'm sure this has been asked and aswered 1000x, so sorry :p)

I've never read a darkroom book.....I took a darkroom class and have a husband who has 20-odd years of experience, so I get immediate assistance. ;)

Check out this old thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4880&highlight=darkroom

There's a pretty good equipment list of odds & ends in there, plus a book recommendation.

And don't forget ebay. There's always tons of miscellaneous DR equipment floating around. Some of it's junk, some of it's fantastic. Stick to your list and read all the descriptions.

Here's a fantastic place to order "factory seconds" darkroom supplies at really bargain rates: Doran Enterprises. www.doranent.com 414-645-0109

And for ongoing Q&A, I expect to see you in the Darkroom forum now. :mrgreen: We help each other out, with everything from paper questions to enlarger lenses. :thumbup:

Get ready for the most fun you can have with stinky chemicals and red safelights. ;) Addicted, you'll be!

Thanks Terri! :) You'll see me around the darkroom forum, once I get started.

I'm doing some freelance work for a guy who owns a printing lab which is now all digital, but he printed school photography from film for 25 years. I'm hoping to get some lessons from him, as well as some equipment that he doesn't use anymore.

Digital Matt said:
How about, "The artist formerly known as Digital Matt" :p

The analog artist formally known as Digital Matt.

I'm sure this has been asked and aswered 1000x

And a thousand times I'll recommend Henry Horenstien's books:

Black and White Photography
Beyond Basic Photography

They aren't expensive, and they cover the basics in a very easy to understand manner.

Digital Matt said:
Thanks Terri! :) You'll see me around the darkroom forum, once I get started.

I'm doing some freelance work for a guy who owns a printing lab which is now all digital, but he printed school photography from film for 25 years. I'm hoping to get some lessons from him, as well as some equipment that he doesn't use anymore.
That's awesome. :thumbup: He'll be able to tell you more, and show you tricks, which is so much better than reading alone. And hopefully you'll $ave a ton, too! :)

And - congrats again on heading down this road! :wild applause:

Digital Matt said:
My space is the corner of my basement. I have an old shower that's not used anymore

GROSS...What do you do for showers then :lol:

ksmattfish said:
The analog artist formally known as Digital Matt.

Haha, good one. :)

ksmattfish said:
And a thousand times I'll recommend Henry Horenstien's books:

Black and White Photography
Beyond Basic Photography

Thanks Matt. Although I might be getting some first hand lessons, it's always nice to have something to read and re-read. I want to eventually get to a point where I'm free from thinking very much about it, and I can just create what I want to see.

Thanks again Terri, for your encouragement :)

Amanda, hahah good one :p ouch! I take showers in a nice NEW shower :p

Just to clarify, this in no way means I'm going to stop shooting digital :p I didn't spend $1500 on this 20D to not use it :p

Digital Matt said:
it's always nice to have something to read and re-read

I regularly see these go for about $6 each used. Everyone should pick them up. He also has a book called "Color Photography", that deals, of course, with color film photography.

Thanks Matt. I just ordered a used copy of each book. Total with shipping was $11.21 :)

I have Ansel Adams' "The Print" as well. I haven't finished reading it. I think I'll have enough material now to get me started. Going to be building the darkroom asap. Already finished one roll, and almost through my second of Tri-X 400 :)

Digital Matt said:
I'm a bit nervous, because I don't have any ventilation. Is that a huge issue?

My darkroom doesn't have any special ventilation besides the house heat and air. I do keep a fan nearby, and have the door open whenever possible. I've never had a problem with things getting too stinky, but I tend to use pretty mellow chemistry. I go out on the porch when toning. Toners make me a lot more nervous.

Digital Matt said:
I have Ansel Adams' "The Print" as well.

Of course "The Camera" and "The Negative" are also must reads (and also are easily found in used bookstores). I read through Adams' trilogy, and didn't understand a lot of it. Then I read Horenstein's books, and when I read "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print" again it was a lot clearer.

eromallagadnama said:
The Matt's are switching

No, we are converging. Digital Matt may be coming from a different direction than I am, but we are heading to the same place. With film and digital we achieve photography nirvana. ;)

Most reactions

Back