Guess who I FINALLY saw!!!!

Can't guess hoo, but does it rhyme with cowl? all great stuff, but I pick #4.

F-u! I quit! ;)

Congrats Kris! Nice captures as always.

What is the site?
Amazing .. about all I can think of
other than .. there's a bird sighting list ??
For me it is CTbirding.org I think most states have a bird list where people report their sightings.. It all ends up on the ebird list.. http://ebird.org/ebird/eBirdReports?cmd=Start click range and point maps. enter your desired bird and your location and it will show you pinpoint locations in your area if you zoom in..

Nice set. Where did you end up finding this one?
Hammonasset State Park in Madison, CT..

Way to go ! High Five !:drool:

Thank you so much everyone! This is the bird I have been wanting to get ever since I picked up a camera. Hopefully next time I will have some better light.

They all good. What a bird!

And STILL no owls for me!
Those are terrific, Kris--it's always SO exciting to find a new bird you've been watching for!

There are reports that Snowys have already been spotted as far south as Louisville, KY and Raleigh, NC--Matthew, you should definitely be on the lookout in your area!
I'm hoping that maybe the miraculous will happen and Tennessee will get a Snowy or two this year!

Yeah, for practically EVERY state, how about that?? Birders are intense, man. You report a rare bird in your area, and every birder in the state will change their plans, take off from work, and come to that spot to see if they can find the bird. I know because that's what happened when I saw a brown pelican here last Memorial Day. And then this past summer, I got to see a Scissor-Tailed Kite (yeah, it's a bird--a raptor at that!) because of the reports posted by someone else. Every day *I* went to look for it, there were at least 3 or 4 other people there looking for it as well. But I was one of the lucky few who actually did get to see it!

I don't like you no more :p J/K. I have not seen any owls and not for the lack of trying.
You and me both, DarkShadow! I swear, the owls are really starting to tick me off! :D

Terrific shots. Thanks - I've never seen one of these and now I feel like I have. I especially like the first one, which shows the enormous feet and also the fluffed-up feathers - it must have been trying to intimidate you.

Thank you everyone!
winning the KEH contest and getting a snowy! nice job!
I think it was my second best day ever with a camera. My Osprey shot will be really hard to beat for me personally. Seeing my first Snowy was amazing after waiting so long.

Those are terrific, Kris--it's always SO exciting to find a new bird you've been watching for!

There are reports that Snowys have already been spotted as far south as Louisville, KY and Raleigh, NC--Matthew, you should definitely be on the lookout in your area!
I'm hoping that maybe the miraculous will happen and Tennessee will get a Snowy or two this year!

Yeah, for practically EVERY state, how about that?? Birders are intense, man. You report a rare bird in your area, and every birder in the state will change their plans, take off from work, and come to that spot to see if they can find the bird. I know because that's what happened when I saw a brown pelican here last Memorial Day. And then this past summer, I got to see a Scissor-Tailed Kite (yeah, it's a bird--a raptor at that!) because of the reports posted by someone else. Every day *I* went to look for it, there were at least 3 or 4 other people there looking for it as well. But I was one of the lucky few who actually did get to see it!

I don't like you no more :p J/K. I have not seen any owls and not for the lack of trying.
You and me both, DarkShadow! I swear, the owls are really starting to tick me off! :D
"birders" are a funny group, glad I fall into the bird photographer genre, although I did go on a wild goose chase, well actually a wild Fork-Tailed flycatcher chase, yeaterday, only to get there and hear oh you just missed him, it was incredible :( I got a shot from a million miles away.. oh well..

F-u! I quit! ;)
Congrats Kris! Nice captures as always.
:)

well done.
Kris, great shots and congrats on your first snowy.
WesternGuy
Thank you kindly! Matt keep your eyes open for reports down there!

"birders" are a funny group, glad I fall into the bird photographer genre, although I did go on a wild goose chase, well actually a wild Fork-Tailed flycatcher chase, yeaterday, only to get there and hear oh you just missed him, it was incredible :( I got a shot from a million miles away.. oh well..

Yeah, I'm definitely still a Bird Photographer, not a Birder! What I meant was that it's generally the "real" birders who spend all the time creating lists and reporting sightings. WE then get the benefit of using their information to find birds that frankly, I'd probably NEVER find on my own.

I heard about that Fork-tailed flycatcher in CT and wondered if you'd seen it; hope you get another chance at it!

Those website reports are pretty sweet. That is how I found out there was a Brown Booby up near the niagara river. They don't actually touch anything in the states other than maybe the very tip of Florida. Sadly though she was too far of a reach for any sort of quality photo. :/

Happy for Kris you got the snowy shots you wanted and good ones as well. I could picture it now, jumping in the car, truck or whatever and speeding to where the snowy was last seen and before you even stop the camera is already hanging out to car window getting focus locked on target.

I probably would have got arrested for driving reckless from a adrenaline rush.

Last edited:
MAN!!!! I looked at the pictures and remembers all the other ones I seen from you and thought to myself. "Where the hell do you live." And then I read your comment. lol
You always do a great job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back