Guidevalue to f-stop

<error>

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my story is that I bought a Minolte Flashmeter IV off fleabay. I set ISO and shutterspeed and aperture. When I fire my cobras, the meter tells me something that I need to adjust the GV up or down by that-and-that value to be good with the aperture.

Fine so far, but what's the way to get from my flash intensity to GV ? I can do it by trial and error, of course, but that goes a bit against what I bought the meter for.

I have a Canon 40D, two YN560-III and a YN-560TX, if that matters.

Still a long way to be a strobist .. but enjoying the trip !

Thanks guys !

Do you have the meter set to read out in EV?

Joe

John : Oops. Sorry!

Say I have set ISO-100, speed 250, aperture 8.0 on my Minolta FM-IV. One cobra @ 1/32. If my Minolta tells me that I need to do +1 GV, how does that translate into the corrections for either aperture or flash intensity.

Joe : I will have to check that again, but I stupidly followed the settings given in the manual. I am under the impression that I have to enter ISO/speed/aperture in any case and the meter gives me a corrective GV to match the aperture. I am ultimately fine with that, we are still in the magic triangle after all. I just think I need to understand the "light part" : getting from flash-intensity to GV.

Thanks!

I use the Flash V as my primary meter, but I've never had it set to "EV". Rather, when in the 'Flash' mode, mine simply gives me an appropriate aperture based on the flash intensity.

Hmm, I had a go again. It seems I don't have a direct aperture readout on mine. But it's still easy enough to get one: I can toggle through the apertures and the GV changes accordingly.

But my problem seems to be the opposite: If I want a certain aperture, how to adjust the flash?

The previous owner seems to have had the same problem. And a solution. There is a tiny sticker on the back of the meter (do Japanese have that much better eyes ????). I'll take a photo and upload it tomorrow. Maybe someone can translate the sticker for me. For whatever that's worth.

Have a good one, it's 11pm here: Pillow calling !

Thanks for the manual, that's the one I had. And it becomes apparent that I haven't read it: On page 14 the procedure is clearly described how to adjust flash power to the GV indicated by the meter. All good for the moment, I'll give that a try.

Here are the two stickers on the meter from the previous owner. The first one is the table for flash adjustment, as from the manual. The second one, I have no idea (yet) what it means. If someone can make sense out of that...

sticker-1.jpg
sticker-2.jpg

Eventually all will be good. Thanks guys!

I use the Flash V as my primary meter, but I've never had it set to "EV". Rather, when in the 'Flash' mode, mine simply gives me an appropriate aperture based on the flash intensity.
I have a Minolta IV F meter. I do it the same way John mentions above.
I think I tried the GV setting once and it was too confusing for me at that time.
You can use it multiple ways.

I have a Minolta IV F meter. I do it the same way John mentions above.

Another proof I haven't studied the manual not enough, yet. At least now I know it can do this as well, I just need to figure out what settings go there.

Thanks all, I guess the problem is sitting in front of my screen.

Most reactions

Back