Had some light finally!

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been waiting all week to actually have some light to test out the 300 F4. Snow yesterday, Bright blue skies today and 50... All the reviews say this lens is too slow to focus for birds in flight. I found with the focus limiter it was relatively easy.
As always feedback wlecome
1 I just love my Mockingbirds...

Mockingbird and berry by krisinct, on Flickr

2 I was a little surprised I tracked this RWBB through the sun. (I know don't look directly at the sun)

Red Winged blackbird at sunset by krisinct, on Flickr

3 These little ducks are really small

Ruddy Ducks walking on water by krisinct, on Flickr

4 This merganser was unfortunately in the shade. He was splashing around like crazy and I caught the minnow mid air..

Merganser - Don't let your minnow get away by krisinct, on Flickr

5 This lens makes subject isolation much easier

Seagull in flight by krisinct, on Flickr

6 This was shot with a 2x TC and AF still works. Not perfectly sharp, but I could use it in a pinch if I have bright light. I also stopped it down and probably didn't have to

Seagull test 2x Kenko by krisinct, on Flickr

Looking good! Second to last is my favorite. Bokehlicious!

Beautiful as usual. The Blackbird looks a bit underexposed but it could just be the bright background. I love #3.

Some beautiful shots! I have seriously been considering that 300 F4. I tried the Tokina 300 2.8, and didn't like it... and tried a used 300 F4, but it had some issues so returned it. Still thinking about it... these shots make me want it even more! lol!

Wow! #5 is my favorite also, but #3 makes me smile. "Whew, that water is freaking way too cold today" or somebody just yelled SHARK!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!
Scott: The blackbird is underexposed. I was shocked I got anything in that shot. I tracked it right through the sun and was sorta blinded and so the shutter jumped way up. Sort of blinded by the light.

Cgi, You probably know, but this is the older one (non-afs) For a $500 lens it is awesome. Even with third party TC's on. It does have heavy CA/PF sometimes, but it doesn't have the internal filter in it. Unfortunately I have to send it back, the A/M switch is jammed and it is only a bargain grade. I have seen enough to know I am upgrading to an EX and selling the beloved Tammy 200-500... Everyone says this older 300 F4 is too slow to track birds in flight, but playing around with the focus limiter, I set near to 50 feet and it focuses pretty quick for what I do... There were a lot of RWBB around today. I was relatively successful tracking them for a small fast bird..

Red WInged Blackbird in flight by krisinct, on Flickr

Some beautiful shots! I have seriously been considering that 300 F4. I tried the Tokina 300 2.8, and didn't like it... and tried a used 300 F4, but it had some issues so returned it. Still thinking about it... these shots make me want it even more! lol!

I'm looking at making a similar upgrade in the (hopefully) near future. Just curious, why didn't you like the Tokina?

CC, great shots as usual. Love the mockingbird in #1 and the seagull in #5.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back