Hair light - soft box suggestions

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,
I did a shoot last week, I had been using off camera flashes for a while(285Hv) but recently bought flashpoint 320II, I also bought Flashpoint II 30x60", 76x152cm soft boxes. I have two of these 30X60 soft boxes, one is the main light and the second is the fill light, I have two more monolights 320II that I bought to blow up the white background. On my last shoot, first time using these lights, I used as a hair light a 285Hv with a DIY snoot with grid, I had problems with the model moving out of the light from the hair light.
The other lights worked without a problem but the hairlight in my opinion was not strong enough or maybe it was the snoot, the reason I didnt use a soft box or a monolight as a hair light is that the boom that I have is not a heavy duty boom, it holds about 2kg(4lbs), I was also afraid that light from the hairlight was going to spill.

what is the ideal softbox size for the hairlight? should I stick with the 285Hv and use a soft box instead of a snoot with a grid or should I scratch the 285Hv as a hair light and consider a heavy duty boom that will hold the 320II monolight with soft box?

any assistance is much appreciated.

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't think that there is an idea size; something small for sure. 99.9% of the time I use either a bare flash or a snoot on my Brownline MW3R. I don't think I've actually diffused a hair light. If the model is flow-posing or active, be prepared to either move the light, or set up your lighting so that you don't need to move it (high key).

KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I too favored a small, constant light with a snoot as a hair light for posed portraits.

OP
Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I too favored a small, constant light with a snoot as a hair light for posed portraits.

Is the strip light for the hairlight supposed to be a constant light or can an off-camera flash be used for this?

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics