Half collared Kingfisher

goooner

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I visited South Africa for around three weeks, and met up with @CarlosFrazao. What a great lad, that took me along to a close by game reserve where we were lucky enough to snap this little guy. Apparently extremely rare. Sat around 5-6 meters away, and gave us a few seconds to snap him. I'm still not 100% happy with my Tammy 150-600, but it is probably user error.

Thanks again @CarlosFrazao for taking the time to show me around your stomping ground. Hope you got a few good ones as well!

As always, C&C more than welcome.

Last edited:
I love the look of kingfishers. Only had one chance so far to capture one but it was a terrible shot and had to bin it. I am always on the hunt for them. These are very nice shots and its great when you can capture the rare ones.

I love the look of kingfishers. Only had one chance so far to capture one but it was a terrible shot and had to bin it. I am always on the hunt for them. These are very nice shots and its great when you can capture the rare ones.
Thank you, yes they are tough to catch.

Cool set!
Thank you

Nice shots of a beautiful bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

I think these are great Gooner, great colouring on the bird! I certainly have not had the opportunity to photograph one! I have a question, did you shoot these on a tripod?

I think these are great Gooner, great colouring on the bird! I certainly have not had the opportunity to photograph one! I have a question, did you shoot these on a tripod?
Thanks for the nice comments, no tripod was used, probably had VR on, brought up the exposure about 1 stop in post though, to bring out the colouring. Blew the background, but I like it. I might play around with only brightening up the bird, but have too many photos to get through at the moment.

Thanks for the nice comments, no tripod was used, probably had VR on, brought up the exposure about 1 stop in post though, to bring out the colouring. Blew the background, but I like it. I might play around with only brightening up the bird, but have too many photos to get through at the moment.

I wouldn't worry too much about the background! at 1/200 you most definitely had your VR on, Tamron 150-600 VR surprisingly good. I suspect if you had a higher shutter speed and ISO and even used some exposure comp +1 you might of been happier with Tammy! I love my Tamron 150-600, for what I can afford it's very good!

Howzit man, no probs it was a blast taking you around for the day. Haha yeah we where lucky with this one. Yeah the Tammy was a tough one if we where comparing to my Nikon I think the Nikon definitely took the cake and both of us where shooting very slow because of the terrible weather.

Howzit man, no probs it was a blast taking you around for the day. Haha yeah we where lucky with this one. Yeah the Tammy was a tough one if we where comparing to my Nikon I think the Nikon definitely took the cake and both of us where shooting very slow because of the terrible weather.
Hey Carlos, would love to see your shots from that day. I think my problem with the lens is probably user error. I will give it a good go this summer, and see if I can get better results. Then I might just send it back to Tamron with my camera so they can sort it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back