gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first photography stop during my long road trip from Chicago to Newfoundland and back was the capital city of Nova Scotia--Halifax. I spent one afternoon and then most of the next morning there before moving to Peggy's Cove.

I very much enjoyed Halifax. Although one usually travels to places like Nova Scotia and Newfoundland for the landscapes, I found myself gravitating towards architecture.

Here are a dozen of my favorites from that city:

1- I experienced challenging conditions during most of my trip. I was 0 for the trip on sunrises...it was consistently overcast or cloudy. There wasn't a single morning when the sun was visible at dawn. Sunsets weren't much better. So, I tried to come up with more creative ways to make some of these pictures more interesting. Long exposure was one approach. This is a five minute exposure of downtown Halifax:
p3019507680-5.jpg

2- Halifax features a diversified mix of architecture...old and new, traditional and contemporary...all together. I captured this image from a distance to compress the scene. In reality, the buildings in the back are a block or two behind the one in the front of the frame:
p3019507634-5.jpg

3- This was a fun photograph to capture. The guard at the entrance to the Citadel is not permitted to talk or to even change expression. I didn't know this, so I asked him if it would be OK to take some photographs. He just kept standing exactly as pictured while I reeled off about 40 exposures:
p3019507567-5.jpg

4- I have visited all 50 state capitols and photographed 49 of them, but this was the first provincial capitol that I photographed in Canada. The following image is of the Legislative Chamber and the next pictures is of the Legislative Library of the Province House in Nova Scotia:
p3019507807-5.jpg

p3019507683-5.jpg

6- The churches of Halifax were a joy to visit. Most were open for visitors and all complied with my request to illuminate the interior. This church was the most fascinating to me. It's an old, all wooden, round church that opened its doors in 1812. It's called St. George's Round Church. The individual who opened the church and walked me around is studying to become a minister. We went up to the balcony (pictured), then up into the clock tower and eventually down to the crypt in the basement.
p3019507839-5.jpg

7- The Halifax Central Library is bright and contemporary:
p3019507315-5.jpg

8- The Halifax Town Clock towers over the city. This is the most famous landmark in the capital city:
p3019507317-5.jpg

9- Did I mention that I enjoy architectural abstracts?
p3019507313-5.jpg

10- St. Mary's Basilica opened in 1899:
p3019507312-5.jpg

11- Two women in period attire at the historic Citadel:
p3019507595-5.jpg

12- City Hall
p3019507333-5.jpg

Next up, Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia...

Thanks for looking!
Glenn

Great photos Glen! Haven't been out east for a long time, its in the plans for next year.

Fine photos. You're quite competent behind the camera.

Those are fantastic as usual. 2 & 9 are my favorites. 3 made me lol.

good shots. I like the colors in the second one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back