Harassed For Taking Pictures

DennyCrane

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure other photographers here have heard of these situations. Generally, they're cases where police or private security personnel tell a photographer that they are not allowed to take pictures. Today, it finally happened to me. As you may know, I often go to Ralph Wilson Stadium before Buffalo Bills games and take pictures. I've gotten great shots of former Bills players, the stadium, the fans, police officers, etc.

Today, I was approached by the stadium security and asked to stop taking pictures. I asked why, and was told that security was instructed to ask people not to take pictures of security personnel or where they were working. Now, this year, there's heightened security at NFL games, including involved pat downs before you're allowed in:

PatDown.jpg

But the company, Contemporary Services Corporation, is taking it further by harassing photographers. The CSC employee was a bit taken aback when I challenged him on why I was being asked to stop taking pictures. He then told me his employee handbook had a section telling employees to stop people from taking pictures. After telling him I was in a public place, and therefore within my rights to take pictures of whatever I wanted, and that I was going to continue, he asked me again to stop. I asked him who he worked for and who his supervisors were. He told me "Contemporary Services Corporation" and pointed to a golf cart seating 2 people. I was done with the security drone and went right over to the cart:

csc.jpg

Here is the audio of the exchange:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/697d0277-3c28-416d-90b9-5a447e159264/rec00007

They clearly had no idea what the rules were let alone the law. Nor, did they know that Erie County owns the property and that the Buffalo Bills merely lease it for games. Their first answer to my questioning was "People don't like having their picture taken" and that as a photographer, I "needed permission to take their picture". Absolutely untrue. I explained to them that in a public place... even IF it were private property... there is no reasonable expectation for privacy. Anyone can take pictures unless there are postings saying that photography is prohibited. Now, I've been taking pictures up there for 5 years and have never been harassed before, and I certainly know the law. These clowns did not. Eventually, they radioed their supervisors and were informed that there was no rule against people taking pictures. I immediately said "thank you" and walked away. The point was made, so there was no reason to stay any longer. I did, however, hear a CSC employee at a different gate say "That guy with the camera. He's the one". So, apparently, there was some radio message about our exchange sent out. At that point, I headed directly off the stadium property and went home. It pays to be a little paranoid and it doubly pays to have good situational awareness at all times when you're out with your camera. I highly doubt they'd give me any trouble if I'd stayed around, but why take chances?

So, the moral here is, KNOW THE LAW. You are entitled to take pictures of whatever you want in a public place, and this includes pictures of police, fire, EMS personnel, or private security employees. You may not be detained for taking pictures. NO ONE may ask to see your pictures, take your film or memory cards, demand erasure, etc. Only a court order can require you to hand over your property.

If you're ever in a similar situation, above all else, remain professional. You have the legal high ground. Don't let it get away from you by acting like a damned fool. Ask them what legal reason they have for asking you to stop taking pictures. Know the law and explain it to them. Get the name of the group they work for. Get the name of them. If possible, record the audio of the conversation, take pictures of them, etc. I recorded the audio on my phone and got a picture of the supervisors without making it obvious.

I have sent an EMail to the CSC Buffalo office manager where I explained the events. I did not mention the recordings or the pictures. I will await a response before I talk to the local news stations, the paper, or anyone else.

Power trip! Good job challenging them! I will definitely listen to it when im not busy.

Good job! What a bunch of douchebags at that security company! A thought might be to write to your local area newspapers and their sports columnists...you know, the guys who always need a story...tell them about this ridiculous treatment of ticket-holding fans by a few power-hungry rent-a-cops. Provide them with some FACTS about the stadium ownership, the number of the company, any managers or supervisors you talked to,etc. ANd, write a letter to the editor...maybe you can compose a really good letter that will generate some moral outrage among Bills fans, and generate some backlash for the douches at the "security" company.

BTW Denny, your link as provided on 9/18/2011 is showing up as "Bad Link". I would LOVE to hear the conversation!

Security is just doing their job, but what happens is that they are so paranoid about pictures these days they will step over the line to stop anyone. If you are accredited media for the game they have no business even talking to you, that pass gives you pretty much a free run to shoot whatever you want. It was good that you challenged them, not enough people do these days.

OK, the link should work now. It defaulted to "private". I set it to public and I ~think~ it's working.
:)
And, thanks for the support!

Lawyered!

​Nice job :)

Good job standing up to them -- also good call walking away. It's not worth a busted camera. I've had a number of similar encounters and private security has been the worst as they rarely have any clue what really is and isn't legal. They do seem much more aggressive of late.

Joe

there SHOULD be a player appearing. It's working for other people.

good job!!

btw... I believe certain states require all parties to be informed of a recorded conversation. Most states are ok with it as long as you are a party to the conversation.

good job!!

btw... I believe certain states require all parties to be informed of a recorded conversation. Most states are ok with it as long as you are a party to the conversation.
It varies by state (look up the law for your state), but it's either of these two options:

One party must be aware (you) OR both parties must be aware.

(In Texas (my state), I believe that only one party is required to be aware of the recording. It has been a while since I looked it up, so that may not be accurate - I think it is though...)

Last edited:
there SHOULD be a player appearing. It's working for other people.
It's working now. Not sure what was up before...

I totally had a different voice in my head for you... :lol:

You have also reminded me that I need to put my digital voice recorder in my camera bag, and leave it there.

Just a little info here, In some states it is a state crime, regardless of private or public place to take pictures of REAL law enforcement.

Well handled, Denny! If this is really the first time this has happened to you, either you don't get out enough or things are a little more relaxed around Buffalo than around the bigger cities. I had several incidents in the Chicago area. One was totally understandable because it was federal security personnel on the grounds of a VA hospital (apologized profusely, mentioned someone I knew that was working there that day, left immediately and didn't lose any pictures). Another time a security guard from a private office building approached me on the sidewalk outside and told me it was OK to take pictures, but not of the building itself! I wasn't interested in doing that anyway so I didn't get into it with him. Here in Philly I have had much less trouble with this, for some reason.

Most reactions

Back