Harassed For Taking Pictures

Funny just yesterday I came across a fenced off area where a local brewery is expanding. A sign is posted saying no photos without the consent of the construction company. Of course I took a few! Can't imagine why the sign is posted, the construction fence is right beside a public sidewalk and street. Maybe they don't want photos of their employees loafing?

I can't believe people get hassled for taking pictures though, I've heard it too but it never has happened to me. But we don't live in a free country regardless of what anyone says and in some ways that good. Mexico is a free country, very very free. I love it there because of it's true freedoms, but with that comes a ton of problems (edited for political content).... ha ha

It's pretty rude to sneak a political rant into a photo discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
That first picture can easily be misinterpreted...in a hilarious way.

I can't believe people get hassled for taking pictures though, I've heard it too but it never has happened to me. But we don't live in a free country regardless of what anyone says and in some ways that good. Mexico is a free country, very very free. I love it there because of it's true freedoms, but with that comes a ton of problems (edited for political content).... ha ha

It's pretty rude to sneak a political rant into a photo discussion.

He is gone.

Were you outside of the fences? Even if it's a public place and they're selling tickets to the venue and you're inside the venue, they can tell you not to take photos. IF you don't listen, they can tell you to leave and if you don't, they can get you for tresspassing.

Just a little info here, In some states it is a state crime, regardless of private or public place to take pictures of REAL law enforcement.

Find me those states please. I know some states have officers that try and use wire tapping laws, but that's generally for recording officers and even then, it usually get thrown out in court.

I don't know anywhere where it's illegal to take a photo of a real law enforcement officer if you're on public property.

Eclivic said:
Just a little info here, In some states it is a state crime, regardless of private or public place to take pictures of REAL law enforcement.

Where did you get your law degree? :) It is not a state crime in any state to take pictures of real law enforcement. A cop can arrest your for taking his picture if he asks you not to but you will be released right off because they can't charge you with anything. If you are interfering with the polices ability to do their job that's a different story. You can take pictures of basically whoever you want in public places - not just public property.

FYI -
CA, CT, FL, IL, MD, MA, MI, MT, NV, NH, PA, WA

These are the states that all parties need to consent in order to record it. Basically the recorder has to be in plain view. All other states are one-party consent laws!

Were you outside of the fences? Even if it's a public place and they're selling tickets to the venue and you're inside the venue, they can tell you not to take photos. IF you don't listen, they can tell you to leave and if you don't, they can get you for tresspassing.
I was outside the gates. Essentially, it's the area between the parked cars and the gates where you hand over your ticket and enter. Legally, there is no prohibition against taking any pictures.
Eclivic said:

Where did you get your law degree? :) It is not a state crime in any state to take pictures of real law enforcement. A cop can arrest your for taking his picture if he asks you not to but you will be released right off because they can't charge you with anything. If you are interfering with the polices ability to do their job that's a different story. You can take pictures of basically whoever you want in public places - not just public property.

FYI -
CA, CT, FL, IL, MD, MA, MI, MT, NV, NH, PA, WA

These are the states that all parties need to consent in order to record it. Basically the recorder has to be in plain view. All other states are one-party consent laws!
One of the reasons I had my phone out in plain view as I was recording the conversation... even though NY is a one party consent state.

And, I really do go there to photograph a lot during football season... and have gotten some decent shots. I know quite a few local photographers who wander around before the games, taking pictures. Regardless, this won't stop me from going every home game and continuing to take pictures.

IMG_5537rars.jpg

JoeDelamielleure.jpg

IMG_1688a.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

I think they're just trying to do their job but you handled the situation very well

Good work

I think those involved are not briefed or do not understand their security risks. The management simply deployed them without giving them clear directions. In such a case, their supervisor should come forward and explain why photographs are not allowed. I am sure if there are good reasons, I too will support the instructions.

Update- I got an email from the local manager of the security company. He wants to talk to me, so I'll give him a call on Monday.

Any kind of lawyer whether they be for defendant or plaintiff can convolute arguments to serve their cause but in the end, justice prevails. We don't live in the era of where mobs rule or don't live in communist countries where mobocracy of a few chanting 'down with oppressors' have legal basis under American rule of law ; hence, their arguments having no merit ..The photographer's case meets the standards upon where the law rests: plausibility and justice.

not sure it's as easy as all this. Public Place, sure - But it's private property. Gone are the city owned stadiums and here in PA, it pretty much not cool, without a release. I think it's "if face is shown, or can be made out."

Interesting talk here -

I'm happy you got on them though.

I always teach to GET THE SHOT!

I was yelled at many times, but I "got the shots"

My way.. take em, get yelled at - GET ALL DUMB DUMB and say sorry.

;)

ha ha!

Get the shot!

This country is going to hell.

Any kind of lawyer whether they be for defendant or plaintiff can convolute arguments to serve their cause but in the end, justice prevails. We don't live in the era of where mobs rule or don't live in communist countries where mobocracy of a few chanting 'down with oppressors' have legal basis under American rule of law ; hence, their arguments having no merit ..The photographer's case meets the standards upon where the law rests: plausibility and justice.
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Was this post in any way related to the thread's topic?

not sure it's as easy as all this. Public Place, sure - But it's private property. Gone are the city owned stadiums and here in PA, it pretty much not cool, without a release. I think it's "if face is shown, or can be made out."
As stated in the first post, this was not private property, but public property owned by Erie County.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back