Hard CC, please- natural light BW's

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It has been a while since I shared anything here. I would really love some serious CC- the harder the better!!! These were all done in natural light in manual mode (I think). I can look up the settings if anyone is interested.

0803_5.jpg

0803_2.jpg

0803_4.jpg

0803_3.jpg

I would really love all the feedback I can get. Don't be shy to tell it like it is-- it is impossible to hurt my feelings!!! :mrgreen:

very cute shots but they look a little overly sharpened to me

I disagree.. I love the sharpness it really adds to the contrast. I am a HUGE fan of these photos.. NICE WORK!

Only cc I have.. is in #1 and #4 there are some small dots of imperfection on the faces that are a little distracting.. quick pp spot heal would clear it up though.

I like the sharpness as well. I find the amount of hair across the little girl's face distracting though. Of course, if it's windy, not much you can do. The photos are gorgeous though.

Well, you can see the pixels in the side of the 2nd picture's face, so I would say that it's over sharpened.

I like them overall, but the second one strikes me as the one that I'm not fond of. I think it's because of the aggressive PP there. The side of her face is also so blown that you're starting to lose features. If you want a high key look, try to do it without losing important features...unless that's the goal you're specifically going for.

yeah I am seeing alot of pixels too...on the ones of the girl really bad and on the boys eyes in both. Honestly if you backed off the sharpen took, they would be very lovely

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I was experimenting with a new action to resize and sharpen images for the web, but I think it is a little too intense for my stuff. Here are the four photos without any additional web sharpening. Besides the sharpening issues, how are they? Expsosure, comp, conversion, etc etc etc

0803_5-v2.jpg

0803_2-v2.jpg

0803_4-v2.jpg

0803_3-v2.jpg

thanks!!

MUCH better.

I really like them now. Eyes are lovely (although a couple might be slightly over sharpened...its a narrow line). I think they are beautiful kids and lovely photos. Two thumbs up.

yes, a little too sharp. But anyway, they are beautiful portrait

Why do people always think they need a "hard hat" when receiving critique? LOL. ;)

For me, I love sharp photos. I dont think they are too sharp at all. The only things that bother me are the stray hairs, but I know thats difficult to control in outdoor portraits. Still, there are ways to hold back those stray hairs from flying around in the breeze.

The exposure in #1 IMO is very well done, but as mentioned, the blow out is evident in #2. In #3, his face is bright, but I dont think its a problem. Again, just my opinion. In #4, I would clean up the spots/slight blemishes on the face with the healing brush.

You probably noticed that PS actions can be good, but they cant always catch everything when processing. Sometimes, it takes a bit of manual work to make the finishing touches. :)

Overall, well done!

Most reactions

Back