Hardest Thing I've Ever Photographed; and I'm doing it again in 4 days. Help?

Kat28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's been my dream to be a photographer for the PBR (Professional Bull Rider's Association). I recently met the right people who invited me behind the scenes to a smaller venue with my camera to build my portfolio. These same people are stock contractors for the PBR and have invited me to the show in September AND take promo shots of their famous Bulls. This could make or break me.

After the photographing the smaller show two weeks ago, I've realized rodeo photographers don't get the credit they deserve. It's HARD. Especially outdoors at night. Most of my photographs have quite a bit of blurring. It's impossible to predict which way the bulls will move next. Fast shutter speed is imperative, but I wasn't manipulating my setting around that well. On top of this, I unfortunately do not have an external flash. My flash was bouncing off all the dirt in the air and some of my photos look like nothing more than a while cloud.

I should have done more research, I know. That's what brings me here. I'm going again on Saturday and I'm open to any and ALL suggestions. I can't give up. This is my passion.

I shoot with a Nikon D60
Thanks in advance

My suggestion: buy or rent a professional-level Nikon and see how much the D60 handicaps a person who is trying to shoot low-light, nighttime rodeo. No offense to the D60, but man...compared to a D3 or D700, it sucks. It has a weak AF Module, and a small, crappy viewfinder. You do not need flash--you need a camera that has top-level High ISO capabilities.

I do agree with Derrel, and would add that fast lenses may be in order as well.

While I agree that a D60 is less than ideal, I find that an APS-C is ideal for this sort of work. I've done a fair amount of "horsey" stuff and almost exclusively rely on my D300 with the 70-200.

I have to agree about renting the right equipment if this shoot is that important to you.

Get it ASAP and get familiar with it.

Best of luck on the shoot
Steve

Yeah I agree with Derrel, your camera is going to seriously limit you in this type of environment. You have lots of motion, poor light, and the need to be able to nail focus.
You need a beter camera and good glass.

Thank you SO much. It's an unfortunate solution, but a realistic one. I better start making more money for upgrades. I guess this isn't my break :meh:

What about at least renting a fast (=wide max aperture) lens?

What about at least renting a fast (=wide max aperture) lens?

or possibly find a generous person to let you borrow theirs in your area?

I didnt think it would be that hard. Every rodeo I have been to, the area is always well lit.

Events should be well lit--so as long as you have f2.8 glass, you should be okay with the d60.

300mm f2.8 would be ideal for this gig.

If you don't have long fast lenses there are ways round it with a 50F1.4, get up close to were they release the bull take shots of rider getting ready and preparing to get on the bull, next if you can get low behind the fence and shoot through the slats, shoot as soon as they release the bull and get as many near shots as you can, try some unusual wide shots,behind the scenes shots. I use a 50F1.4 for shooting horse event now and again next to my 300F2.8 here's one to show you what can be done with an old 10D and a 50F1.4
577327860_Emrp5-L.jpg

and 50F1.4 on an old 1Dmk1
261042722_fCiJz-L.jpg

If this shoot might lead to money or a job then you should considering renting at least a d700 and a fast lens. i know around here for a weekend, the renting price is pretty low. if you want a fast shutter speed then youll need the highISO performance and a fast lens.

what do you think the slowest shutter speed you can have when the bull is jumping around? 1/200?

Most reactions

Back