Harmonizing ambient light with OCF *First attempt results* C&C Please!

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wasn't able to get to the Stone Arch bridge last night due to a family crisis..... we had to try to remove a 13 year old kid's head from his ass. It wasn't pretty, and the results of the procedure are still inconclusive. :er:

Anyhoo..... I WAS able to make it to the range today, and since myself and a friend were the only ones there, it was really overcast, so there was no overbearing light from our friend the sun...I didn't feel bad turning the range into my own personal studio.

Here are a couple that I was able to pull off..... well technically my buddy was pressing the button on the remote, but I'm the one that set up the shot.... so I guess they are still my pictures.

Here is the setup. D7000, Manual focus 135mm AI 2.8, SB-600 and SB-27 I put the camera in manual, f/5.6 (for desired DOF) and 1/100, since that is what the meter in the camera tole me was the "correct" setting for the ambient light. Then I seu up two bare speedlights. Rigged the whole thing with radio triggers and a wireless shutter release (don't want to be standing in frong of the firing line, now do we?) And voila! I had a stand in for focusing, stood in the same spot, and on the count of three, my buddy pushed the button and I pulled the tigger.

I'm pretty thrilled that the focus is spot on, and after playing with the lights a bit, I think I found a good combo.

Let me know what you think!

ETA, Link to full size http://www.flickr.com/photos/61095014@N03/5604886218/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Where were your lights? Just a guess, but if it was overcast like you say, it looks like your flashes are overpowering the ambient as you're getting a harsh shadow from them. Is that what you were aiming for?

yes, your shadows are very harsh from the flashes... try moving them back or turning doooooown the power fo sho

No, not really what I was going for, but I'm still pretty happy with the pic overall......Yeah in hindsight, they were a bit too bright, it's really hard to tell on a 3" screen on the fly....... Need to be turned down, but a good experience none the less.

Thanks folks! I'm looking forward to many more outings and experiments.

i think the pic is great btw... i really like it!

Thanks! I do have quite a lot to learn with the whole OCF thing though.... Looking forward to learning and trying. It's coming faster every day. Thanks again for the feedback!

I think if you got it "right" after the shot it would have been really freakin sweet. if we could see a bullet... wowz

Digg the action capture there, you did good with the focus and the composition is pretty good.

Like the others I think that you may have the flashes a bit too hot for bare heads, which is giving you those shadows and probably a blue hue to your skin. I'd gray card from the line with the flashed turned down a bit, and I'd probably put one high and one low.

The good thing is it's always fun to experiment, and that's how you'll learn what works for you, and what your gear can do.

not too shabby at all.
I just got my first flash and need to get it off camera ASAP. In the meantime I read any book that I can get my hands on.

......Yeah in hindsight, they were a bit too bright, it's really hard to tell on a 3" screen on the fly.......

You can always zoom in on the LCD to spot check your shots.

The shadows look rather flat. I maybe wrong but did you have the two flashes one on camera right and the other on camera left(maybe equally powered or equidistant)?. Looks like there are some shadow cancellations creating that flat look. I suggest practice with one flash first and study how the different flash positions create certain shadows, certain looks. It really is amazing what one flash can do.

Nice try! :thumbup:

Stradawhovious check out Zack Arias using one light in you tube...I learned a few things from this guy.

Here's the link:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always zoom in on the LCD to spot check your shots.

In theory this is correct...... The problem is that we were also playing with firearms and live ammunition. Can't really check the outcome until the line is safe, and the weapon is cleared. I could have reset after the first round of pics, but that doesn't really change the fact that the lighting didn't seem to bother me until someone with more knowhow pointed it out to me.

So for those of you who were asking about my light placement, I have constructed this crude thirdgraderesque diagram showing the placement o the lights. A was my key, about 6 ft from the subject at 1/1 power. B is the second, also about 6 ft at 1/2 power.

I have also looked through the pics again, and found one that was taken before the key was recycled, so you can see that the "fill" was not as bright. (added below). My overall goal with this one was to get catchlights from A just above the pupil, but none from B. Also to get good lighting.... which it seems I went a little too much. Next time I go out, I will cut the flash power by half, and if it's not windy use a couple umbrellas (the reason I didn't use any yesterday.... those things are like sails :lol: )

Thanks again for your feedback, I will put it to good use next time.

Hre is the diagram... \

Here is the other pic..

This is one thing I want to get out and do one day, not shooting, but using my OCF outdoors during the day. It might not be the best, but if I pulled something like this off on my first attempt, I'd be satisfied too :)

Most reactions

Back