Has anyone switched to Mirrorless for Photojournalism?

Have you checked out sansmirror.com for reviews ofd mirrorless cameras done ONLY AFTER EXTENSIVE, real-world, prolonged USE??? Not 1-day hype and BS, but reviews done only after extended use!

Fujifilm X-T1 Review | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Look around the site for some answers and guidance. Read what an accomplished shooter has to say about various cameras and lenses after actually putting them through their paces, often for several months: NOT the week before the things go on-sale...

Note what Thom says about how a single frame, or two, do not prove much of anything about focusing.

The Canon 1DX, AKA "The Photojournalism Lord Grandpoba the highest" I have dappled in photojournalism and most of the pros i ran into where running the 1dx.

Yeh a 1D would be great to carry round in a kit bag, in the UK army photographers have to carry all their combat gear that a regular soldier would carry plus all his camera gear

The only thing I'd be worried about is the autofocus speed/accuracy of a mirrorless camera in a Photojournalistic environment. You don't want to miss a shot because your camera was hunting for focus. The Fuji mirrorless cameras are infamous for their lackluster focusing. It's not bad, but if you're not in decent light with good contrast, focusing becomes a chore. Not sure how Sony fairs, though.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the autofocus speed/accuracy of a mirrorless camera in a Photojournalistic environment. You don't want to miss a shot because your camera was hunting for focus. The Fuji mirrorless cameras are infamous for their lackluster focusing. It's not bad, but if you're not in decent light with good contrast, focusing becomes a chore. Not sure how Sony fairs, though.

Manual focus is no problem for photojournalism I would have no problem using my A7 with my manual lenses how do you think they used to go on I get more shots in focus with my Leica M's and A7 than when I used auto focus

The most recent m4/3 cameras from both Panasonic and Olympus have blindingly fast autofocus. I have my Lumix cameras programmed for "back button" autofocus so one press does a single AF operation then switches to MF with MF ASSIST. If the AF misses, grabbing the focus ring on the lens causes the magnified assist to "kick in" and I can usually "nail" focus quickly. Half press on the shutter button clears the EVF or LCD back to normal view and refocusing with MF can be done until a second press on the "back button" (AF/AE) clears AF back to default half press of the shutter.

I have a GH3, GH4, and Lumix GX7, all take the same lenses, and if you can protect the GX7 camera from moisture (ziplock bags!) it makes an ideal hiking, travel, "carryaournd", and field camera. Compact, EVF and LCD, and full featured.

Most reactions

Back