Have around $1000 for a body and glass for beginner...what should I try?

daimbert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know you get this question a ton but I need some guidance on what to go try at least. I am definitely a beginner to photography but after five years using a canon elph point a shoot and not being happy with the results, it is finally time to pull the plug. I have saved up $1000 dollars to buy my first DSLR. What I mainly what to photograph is my family, vacations, and my students (I'm music teacher) as they progress from their first years as beginner instrumental students all the way up to their senior year. I compile these photos into a dvd and give it out as presents when they graduate so they can remember their time in my class. If possible, I would love to use this DSLR to video tape my concerts in high res, to significantly update my current setup. The ability to use an external mic would be a plus but I could always use and external recording and then merge it later on (or I hope so) if it would save money. So as you can see it's going to be used a lot. I hope this will lead to other interests later on.

As for brands, I don't really care although I have honestly been leaning towards the Nikon just because I have a few buddies who own Nikon gear. What I really care about is the bang for the bucks and the ability to grow with this first camera. I am also not afraid to buy refurbished if its from the manufacture or buying used if anyone can guide me to a reliable source.

So what is out there? I live in NYC and I know B&H is the place to go but I would like some ideas so I don't go blind. In addition, all over the internet they keep saying glass is more important than body so would it be more worthwhile to buy body only and couple it with one good prime lens (35mm/55mm) and eventually down the line buy a decent tele or should I buy the body with kit lens?

Thank you

Hello everyone,

I know you get this question a ton but I need some guidance on what to go try at least. I am definitely a beginner to photography but after five years using a canon elph point a shoot and not being happy with the results, it is finally time to pull the plug. I have saved up $1000 dollars to buy my first DSLR. What I mainly what to photograph is my family, vacations, and my students (I'm music teacher) as they progress from their first years as beginner instrumental students all the way up to their senior year. I compile these photos into a dvd and give it out as presents when they graduate so they can remember their time in my class. If possible, I would love to use this DSLR to video tape my concerts in high res, to significantly update my current setup. The ability to use an external mic would be a plus but I could always use and external recording and then merge it later on (or I hope so) if it would save money. So as you can see it's going to be used a lot. I hope this will lead to other interests later on.

As for brands, I don't really care although I have honestly been leaning towards the Nikon just because I have a few buddies who own Nikon gear. What I really care about is the bang for the bucks and the ability to grow with this first camera. I am also not afraid to buy refurbished if its from the manufacture or buying used if anyone can guide me to a reliable source.

So what is out there? I live in NYC and I know B&H is the place to go but I would like some ideas so I don't go blind. In addition, all over the internet they keep saying glass is more important than body so would it be more worthwhile to buy body only and couple it with one good prime lens (35mm/55mm) and eventually down the line buy a decent tele or should I buy the body with kit lens?

Thank you

Adorama, B&H, KEH are all very reputable online stores with great reputations. Given the types of photographs your looking at taking what I would recommend would be a D5200. You can get one refurbished from Adorama for $599 with the standard kit lens.

Refurbished Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera w/18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR - Black - Refurbished 1503 B

It will give you excellent image quality, it will be easy to use when you first get started and it will be something you can grow into over time. I'd recommend to start with you just get the D5200 and the standard kit lens, and use them for a while. Put the rest of the money aside and wait for a while before deciding what other lenses or accessories you want to add based on your needs. Primes are great but they can be a little overwhelming for someone that really doesn't have a good handle on the basics and as a result a lot of people who try to start out with primes get frustrated because they don't get the results they expect. So I'd start with just the standard kit lens, practice some, learn about exposure and aperture and depth of field, then decide which primes will best suit your needs and purchase them a little later.

That would be my recommendation at any rate. Hope that helps.

Another big vote for the Nikon D5200.
Excellent camera, well in your price range, good modern camera, excellent low light performance, very good image quality and impressive dynamic range.
The swivel screen is a big plus for video recording.
What you will need to consider is also what lenses you will add to this camera.
I think every DSLR needs for at least 3 lenses as a basic kit but if you cant afford these 3 lenses then start with a good kit lens and in the future get the other 2
A good kit lens is a lens that you can do a lot with and still get good pictures, my recommendation for such a lens is the Nikon 18-105mm VR
I would recommed on getting all the lenses used, this lens used goes for around 150$-180$
Two more lenses will be Nikon 50mm 1.8G, this is a prime lens and is very good for portraits and low light photography because of the big aperture you get, it cost about 200$ new or around 120$-150$ used
And a telezoom Nikon 70-300mm VR this lens is for when you are going outside it will give you a lot of reach for resonable price and excellent results about 300$-350 used (some bought it for less) and around 450$ new.

Good luck.

Oh, heck, guize, let's spend all of his money!

diambert; follow this link to see what $1,000 can buy. Some most excellent cameras at or just under your budget.

$750 to $1000 Digital SLR Cameras | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

I looked at that list, and I would say get THIS bundle. Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera, 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II Lens, USA 25492 L2 for $746.95 final cost.

and then use the extra cash for a Nikon SB 700 flash unit. To me the 18-55 kit zoom, plus the addition of the longer tele-zoom with VR is the deal-maker. Not sure why the URL will not paste properly.

Oh, heck, guize, let's spend all of his money!

diambert; follow this link to see what $1,000 can buy. Some most excellent cameras at or just under your budget.

$750 to $1000 Digital SLR Cameras | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

I looked at that list, and I would say get THIS bundle. Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera, 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR II Lens, USA 25492 L2 for $746.95 final cost.

and then use the extra cash for a Nikon SB 700 flash unit. To me the 18-55 kit zoom, plus the addition of the longer tele-zoom with VR is the deal-maker. Not sure why the URL will not paste properly.

I agree that this is a good place to start. Although, you may want to opt for an older SB600 used--they sell for about $150, and you could use the difference to pick up some cheap Yongnuo triggers so you could have the ability to move you flash of camera. OR! Use the difference to get a 50mm 1.8--good and cheap lens.

Jake

My ex-wife had an SB-600 flash I bought her for Christmas along with the D40 and an 18-135mm zoom; that was a pretty good kit,overall, and you're right: the SB-600 flash was a GOOD performer, and very easy to operate. I liked its controls very much, coming from the SB 800, it seemed simpler, yet quite adequate. I do not see the value of the 5200 over the 3200, at the expense and trade-off of the 55-300VR lens. To me, the "whole package" of a 24MP body, 18-55, and the 55-300 VR, plus money for a good, name-brand Nikon flash, makes the 3200 the best value, with video features not being something I have considered too much in the equation.

Yeah, the 5200 has the flip screen, which some people feel is essential, or nice, for video. As I understand it the D5300 has the **best** video of all the APS-C Nikons, better than the D7100 even, but that camera step (the D5300, or the D5200 )has a slight price premium. I see the value of the lenses and the flash, as being what "makes" the D3200 package for $746.95 the best all-around deal; adding a GOOD flash unit to a d-slr makes a tremendous difference for indoor work. If the budget is $1,000, I do not see the higher price of the mid-level 5xxx series as being worth the cost, in terms of what it prevents a guy from ALSO buying.

I agree that Derrel's choice makes good sense, but in a continuing effort to max out the OP's budget, I see this:

Nikon D5200 Camera w/18-55mm Lens, Bronze, Bundle w/55-300mm Lens & MORE 1511 L2

for $996. The same two lenses and a D5200. No money left for a flash, but it's hard to convince a new DSLR owner to part with significant cash for a speedlight until they see what a speedlight can do.

ps: There is one more advantage to the flip screen that I never hear mentioned. When packing your camera in a bag, (i.e. any old carry-on) flip the back over so the screen is better protected from harmful abrasions, punctures, etc. For cameras without that feature, you have to use a compartmentalized and padded specialty camera bag, costing well, way more than I want to pay.

ps: There is one more advantage to the flip screen that I never hear mentioned. When packing your camera in a bag, (i.e. any old carry-on) flip the back over so the screen is better protected from harmful abrasions, punctures, etc. For cameras without that feature, you have to use a compartmentalized and padded specialty camera bag, costing well, way more than I want to pay.

Or use the clip on screen protector Nikon supplies--One came with my D7000 and it works very well.

Jake

I agree that Derrel's choice makes good sense, but in a continuing effort to max out the OP's budget, I see this:

Nikon D5200 Camera w/18-55mm Lens, Bronze, Bundle w/55-300mm Lens & MORE 1511 L2

for $996. The same two lenses and a D5200. No money left for a flash, but it's hard to convince a new DSLR owner to part with significant cash for a speedlight until they see what a speedlight can do.

I seldom use this word, but Designer, your comment borders on the brilliant. Back in the day, I used to be a top salesman of cameras and video cameras. I've picked outfits for hundreds of people, but from a different era. MY OWN personal take on it is this: it is the top-quality, integrated TTL speedlight flash unit that is what "leverages" an SLR camera and consumer zoom lenses for the beginning to intermediate shooter. Indoors, with an 18-55mm f/3.5 to f/5.6 kit zoom lens, OR when shooting with the zoom indoors, it is the additional help that the flash unit can bring that really,really is the difference-maker.

And you're right, Designer; the beginner often sees the sexy SLR body, and the AF zoom lenses, and envisions all of this capability and technology. But this guy works mostly INDOORS...the FLASH UNIT is the KEY ingredient. It is the drummer in the band. It is the key in the lock. It is the lunch meat in the sammich!

Yeah...the slightly better camera has higher specs. BUT, without expensive, high-performance prime lenses for indoor use at school, like the 24/1.4 or 35/2 or 50/1.8 or 85/1.8...a LOT of the picture results for stills will be dependent upon having spot-on, TTL flash exposure "assist", as well as night-time in-the-dark AF-assist, from a Nikon speedlight flash. I know a lot of people suggest cheap, CHinese knock-off flashes. My experience dates back to the early 1980's and Nikon-branded high-end zpeedlights. I have one that's 30 years old, and still works fine. Others are in their 20's, still work. TO me, the value is the perfect integration and flawless, dependable operation of the Nikon SB speedlight WITH the Nikon d-slr...to me, the most-valuable accessory is.....the camera and the zooms PAIRED WITH THE FLASH.

Without the flash unit, d-slr outfits with consumer-aperture zoom lenses fall flat for beginner and intermediate-level shooters, in most "daily life" shooting scenarios. Fishing rod, reel, line, but no fish hooks or lures? No fishies...

Get the cheapest body you can find and spend the rest on good lenses. The d3100 or d3200.

Or use the clip on screen protector Nikon supplies--One came with my D7000 and it works very well.

Jake

Oh, heck! I didn't get one of those. :p

I'm not really working on a commission basis.

When OP comes back he is going to be even more confused than ever before.

I'm not really working on a commission basis.

When OP comes back he is going to be even more confused than ever before.

But at least he'll have some kind of starting point.
I can assure you that walking into Adorama or B+H can confuse anybody!

Most reactions

Back