Have I understood correctly??

Strela

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,
I am a beginner and have been studying Photography and I thoughtI would run what I have come to the conclusion is of Basic Photography. If Ihave made a mistake or you believe I could benefit from some info please feelfree to share or correct me.
Ok So My impression of Basic Photography.
The 3 man function of my camera a canon EOS 40D I need toknow are Aperture, Shutter Speed & ISO
To capture the quality looking images I want to achieve Ineed to make sure my camera is capturing the right amount of light it needs to exposethe image correctly & that exposure is determined by the 3 above mentionedthings
So starting with APERTURE
Which is the opening of the lens if I look at my lens I cansee the Iris or the aperture blades & they open & close depending onthe aperture value. Naturally the larger the opening the more light comes inthe smaller the less comes in & that is determined by the f-stop value ofmy camera.

Eg: An f/1.8 Value =a bigger aperture with more light
An f 22 = asmaller aperture with less light
“ Larger f-stop = Smaller Aperture”
“ Smaller f-stop =Larger Aperture”

But there is a secondary fact with aperture & that is itaffects the DOF
DOF is basically how much of my image is in focus
For Eg: if I have a shallow DOF my subject is in focus butit’s foreground & background is not.
If I have a wide or large DOF that means a lot of my imageis in focus not just my subject but is foreground and its background.
So if I want a blurred background being a shallow DOF I willneed a smaller f-stop values which is a bigger aperture say f/1.8
If I want a wide or large DOF that means I have to have ahigher f-stop say f/10 or f/22 and I would have a lot of my image in focus butwith less light.

Now the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] thing that will affect my exposerwould be SHUTTER SPEED.
Basically this is how fast my shutter opens & closes ORhow long my exposure takes place.
The faster my shutter speed opens & closes the shortermy exposure takes place & this means I get less light into my images, the slower my shutter speed takes to open& close the longer exposure and more light I will get in my images.
The faster I set my shutter speed Eg: 1/500 of a sec meansthe faster my exposure will be giving less time for my subjects to move givesharp images the lower Eg: 1/50 of a sec the longer I have exposure and willcause the tiniest movement to be capture causing blur.

The 3rd thing that will affect my exposure would be ISO
ISO is the sensitivityof my sensor in my camera the lower my ISO the less sensitivity to light thismeans I’ll more light to expose my images & the higher my ISO the moresensitivity to light which means I’ll need less exposure to my images.
The trade off with ISO is the higher I raise my ISO the morenoise I will see in my images. Noise will really DE saturate or saturate myimages causing unrealistic colours
SO in Short lol
APERTURE
Determines how much light comes into my sensor but it also determinesmy DOF
SHUTTER SPEED
Which will determine how long my exposure takes place, whichwill determine how much of my image will actually be blurred.
& ISO
Which will determine the sensitive my sensor is & itwill determine how much noise I have in my images

I am sorry for the LOOONG rant but I just want to make sureI have it right.
Thank you all.

Doesn't read like a rant to me, but does read well.
It certainly sound like you've picked up on the key properties of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Looking at what each offers you at each end of its spectrum.

For further reading you might want to look into the Cambridge in Colour articles:
Learn Photography Concepts
Some might be repeating what you already know, others will be extending it by bringing the 3 parts together into the exposure as well as presenting theories of exposure such as "expose to the right". It will also introduce you to the histogram, a very powerful and simple photo review tool you can use both on-camera and also on the computer.

Thank you Overread, I will head over and have a read. I appreciate you advice :thumbup:

Where are the pictures?

It does matter if you can repeat it. It only matter if you can use it. So where are the pictures?

“ Larger f-stop = Smaller Aperture”
“ Smaller f-stop =Larger Aperture”

The above quote is incorrect in its usage of the term "f/stop"...what you needed to have written to be correct in youyr usage of the basic terms of photography would be this: this: A larger f/number = Smaller Aperture and a Smaller f/number=Larger Aperture.

The term f/stop with the "stop" being the item under discussion, refers to the actual OPENING in the LENS. At one time, a "stop" was a metal plate with a hole in it, used to control the amount of light entering the lens and thus entering the camera. A large "stop" had a big hole. A small stop had a tiny hole in it. The f/stop refers to the light-admitting HOLE, or the aperture, and so a "Large f/stop" always has a low numerical value, which is the exact opposite terminology used in your text where you weree searching to define the terms.

"Pulling out all the stops meant" using the lens wide-open,at its maximum light-gathering potential.

Where are the pictures?

It does matter if you can repeat it. It only matter if you can use it. So where are the pictures?

Hi DiscoJoe, As I said I am a beginner so I am not as yet confident enough to post pictures. I will be heading out this weekend to take some shots If at that time I am ready to I may post one or two. ;)

Thanks For the correction Derrel I have taken your advice on board :thumbup:

Where are the pictures?

Hi DiscoJoe, As I said I am a beginner so I am not as yet confident enough to post pictures. I will be heading out this weekend to take some shots If at that time I am ready to I may post one or two. ;)

Read the first link in my signature and remember - its when you're starting that you need the most input. Even if the shots are poor, the posting and self analysis combined with pointed from others will help you learn much faster than a self learning trial and error process.

Where are the pictures?

You worry too much. I did all of these photos with a 6mp point and click. I had no idea of anything that you listed above. Just a kid with a camera trying to have fun. There are a lot of good people here that will help you a lot. Dont be scared. Now go have fun and post some shots.

And in the beginning there was.............Chicago!!!!!! - SkyscraperPage Forum

Where are the pictures?

Read the first link in my signature and remember - its when you're starting that you need the most input. Even if the shots are poor, the posting and self analysis combined with pointed from others will help you learn much faster than a self learning trial and error process.

Solid advice. Youve already met some of the best people here.

It all sounds good to me. Understanding the triad of exposure is key to good photos.

Yeah, good to read up some basic BUT without practise, you will never be able to know if you understand. Once out there, you will miss this or that steps. You have to keep doing it till it is natural to make certain adjustments. So bottom line, start shooting and less theory. Review your results and shoot again. This is and believe me is the only way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back