Have you done any hotel or children photography?

Alter_Ego

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys
as some of you guys know im pretty new to photography and recently ive been asked to do a hotel shoot with a model and i really want to do it professionally so if you have any advice and tips on how i should go about this? I have a rebel xs with standard lens and i dont have any fancy equipment so im pretty much going to be pointing and shooting.

Also a lady has asked me to do a photoshoot for her and her daughter as a gift for her husband. Again i would like some advice or examples if possible?

Im sure some of you guys have done similar jobs maybe you can show me what you've done?

Sorry, but your thread title almost put me off. Never shall the twain meet, in my book.

That said, I would suggest to at least invest in a reflector (DIY or purchased) to direct the bounced (available) light in your favor toward the subject(s) if you have no intention to add flash. This would most likely add another member to your camp as an assistant. Yours or theirs, it doesn't really matter, but you want to concentrate on directing the additional light, not doing, if at all possible.

EDIT:
Just noticed the two previous posts ahead of mine. Quite informative.

Thanks for the advice. Thats more then enough for now.

Last edited:
Yeah as a 21 year old male asking about pictures of children didn't come off wrong until i realized this is the internet. Im more concerned on getting the job done at the moment so i need to do some research.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for taking photos of swimming pools at night and restaurant and bars i would really appreciate it for the hotel job :)

If you can look pass the seedy interpretation and just give off some advice im sure not just me but other beginners would appreciate that. Thanks.

........If you can look pass the seedy interpretation and just give off some advice im sure not just me but other beginners would appreciate that. Thanks.
Did you happen to read paragraph 2 of post #4?

BTW you can post the nudes here.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for taking photos of swimming pools at night and restaurant and bars i would really appreciate it for the hotel job :)

Yes, watch your public exposure.

p!nK

Heres a pic of my nephew i took a few weekends ago.

Do you think i ruined the photo with the editing?
IMG_0847-1.jpg

IMG_0847original.jpg

fact: you got a shiny nice new camera, and people see that and expect that you're a photographer and can take some great pictures of their hotel, and them and their children.

fact: you and your gear arent ready for a real shoot.

fact: its ok to practice these kind of shots to learn.

fact: if they're paying you money you need to politely decline, and point them in the direction of a trained professional lest you wish to wind up on judge joe brown.

fact: learn about photography, aperture, iso, shutter speeds, practice practice practice taking pictures of whatever until you learn how to properly expose a shot, how to set white balance, and do learn the rule of thirds.

fact: once you feel you have a firm grasp, head over to strobist.com and learn about off camera lighting. buy a vivitar 285hv and/or 430ex ii (if you want to use it on camera here and there and want the ttl), get some triggers, experiment.

fact: now you're ready to try again, but slowly, and i'd suggest tf (trade for...) style shoots. usually its trade for cd; meaning they give you their modeling time and you give them a cd of the pictures you've taken.

fact: everything i said is bs. do what you want, and have fun. if people know what you're capable of producing and are ok with that and they still want you, then by all means...dont let anyone anywhere tell you what you should or shouldnt be doing.

ok, that fact crap is getting old. look...lighting indoors is going to suck with even what would seem like bright lighting. it would really do you well to learn about off camera lighting and use some flashes (strobes) to help. even a 430 ex ii on camera bounced off the ceiling will have a really dramatic (and positive) effect on the scene you're shooting.

you didnt provide much info on the pool/bar area, but the pool is simple enough. get a decent tripod, put the camera on it, fire away. night or day doesnt much matter. with day time shutter speed wont be an issue as you should have plenty of shutter speed to capture motion should there be people around. night time you can use a longer exposure without issue as the camera will be on the tripod. if you need to capture people in motion you can use your flash.

the bar would depend on whether it's populated or if you're doing an empty bar shoot. if the bar is empty lighting wont much matter. again we can use the tripod to get the shot we want, and shutter speed isnt going to be an issue. if its populated, then flash bounced off the ceiling or a wall is going to help a ton.

mind you, all of this is very basic info, but should get you started.

fact: you got a shiny nice new camera, and people see that and expect that you're a photographer and can take some great pictures of their hotel, and them and their children.

fact: you and your gear arent ready for a real shoot.

fact: its ok to practice these kind of shots to learn.

fact: if they're paying you money you need to politely decline, and point them in the direction of a trained professional lest you wish to wind up on judge joe brown.

fact: learn about photography, aperture, iso, shutter speeds, practice practice practice taking pictures of whatever until you learn how to properly expose a shot, how to set white balance, and do learn the rule of thirds.

fact: once you feel you have a firm grasp, head over to strobist.com and learn about off camera lighting. buy a vivitar 285hv and/or 430ex ii (if you want to use it on camera here and there and want the ttl), get some triggers, experiment.

fact: now you're ready to try again, but slowly, and i'd suggest tf (trade for...) style shoots. usually its trade for cd; meaning they give you their modeling time and you give them a cd of the pictures you've taken.

fact: everything i said is bs. do what you want, and have fun. if people know what you're capable of producing and are ok with that and they still want you, then by all means...dont let anyone anywhere tell you what you should or shouldnt be doing.

ok, that fact crap is getting old. look...lighting indoors is going to suck with even what would seem like bright lighting. it would really do you well to learn about off camera lighting and use some flashes (strobes) to help. even a 430 ex ii on camera bounced off the ceiling will have a really dramatic (and positive) effect on the scene you're shooting.

you didnt provide much info on the pool/bar area, but the pool is simple enough. get a decent tripod, put the camera on it, fire away. night or day doesnt much matter. with day time shutter speed wont be an issue as you should have plenty of shutter speed to capture motion should there be people around. night time you can use a longer exposure without issue as the camera will be on the tripod. if you need to capture people in motion you can use your flash.

the bar would depend on whether it's populated or if you're doing an empty bar shoot. if the bar is empty lighting wont much matter. again we can use the tripod to get the shot we want, and shutter speed isnt going to be an issue. if its populated, then flash bounced off the ceiling or a wall is going to help a ton.

mind you, all of this is very basic info, but should get you started.

Fact

How old are said mother and daughter? Say 20 and 36 and you get 10 extra points towards the thread.

But seriously Chammer had some good info in his post.

Most reactions

Back