Have you ever regretted a big lens purchase?

shefjr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm poised to purchase a D800 and the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 VrII. I have it on good authority that there are great rebates starting this sunday. My problem is that when I think about spending my OT cash on glass and gear my stomach sours. It is a huge purchase and not to be taken lightly. I know that this purchase is pro level and I'm not a pro nor do I have any intentions of going in that direction. So why the top of the line equipment you ask... Well, that is just what I tend to do. I only buy the newest, best thing out there.

So, I wonder if anyone has any situation where they regretted one of their purchases? If so I would love for an elaborate answer.

BTW those of you who know me, know that I shoot mostly wildlife. So a real quick explanation for why I'm not going with big glass is that my wife is pregnant with our first child. So my focus has changed from birds to baby.

Thank you to all those who take the time to give me your feedback. Have a great weekend!

I never regret my purchases, because I always try before I buy and do my research.

No issues with the L glass purchases, but I hate that I spent money on the 430ex flash instead of going straight to Yongnuo. Ughhhhhhhhh!!!! I also regret a small lens purchase - the nifty fifty. I simply does not get used; but neither do the gazillion kit lenses (anymore).

... I only buy the newest, best thing out there.
Just a word to the wise: It will only be the newest, best thing out there until something better comes along.

Years ago I tried to do the same thing with computers. I finally came to the conclusion that technology was advancing a lot faster than I could pay for it so I slowed down, I started using what I had and forgetting about the bleeding edge of technology.

Get yourself a 1.7 or 2* teleconverter at some point down the line - the 70-200mm VR 2 (and IS 2 for Canon) is an outstanding lens! Good enough to take that and give you a good near or actual 400mm lens at the long end that can still deliver good image quality!

As for expensive purchases; eh who cares if you're not going pro "pro gear" is just a marketing label used to sell stuff. If you can afford it - if your not leaving your family and dependants lacking and provided that your significant other gets her/his expensive stuff too then - heck go for it and enjoy :)

I walked into ProPhoto Supply the day Nikon released the 70-200 VR for sale and asked Tom if by any chance they might happen to have the brand-new 70-200 VR...I knew they would not have it out here in podunkville...and he said, "Yeah, in fact we got a few of those in just this morning." He put one in my hands. Instant love-at-first-sight on that lens! I bought one on the spot for $1699. That was ten years ago.

While not a really "big" lens purchase like a 300 or 400 2.8, it was a substantial lens purchase, the third or fourth most-expensive lens I've bought, and it has been worth every single penny I payed. Time,after time,after time. As a DX lens, it is superb. As an FX lens, it is still very good. Not perfect, but still good. The corners do not perform as well on FX as they do on DX, until well stopped-down. The "new" 70-200 VR-II ought to have a similar 10-year run in it, I think.

First of all let me just say thank you everyone for the great responses.

Kathy, while I have not tried out the mentioned lenses or DSLR, I have done a fair amount of research on the equipment. I feel they are solid purchases.
I never regret my purchases, because I always try before I buy and do my research.

JacaRanda, I have not regretted any of my current purchases yet. Well, maybe with the exception for my flash situation. I actually bought the Yougnuo flash first and wished that I would have bought my SB700 first. The Yougnuo I bought wasn't as user friendly as the sb700. I couldn't agree more about the lack of use with the current kit lenses that I have. They don't get used at all here with me either.
No issues with the L glass purchases, but I hate that I spent money on the 430ex flash instead of going straight to Yongnuo. Ughhhhhhhhh!!!! I also regret a small lens purchase - the nifty fifty. I simply does not get used; but neither do the gazillion kit lenses (anymore).

Scott, I appreciate your words of wisdom. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, when it comes to the glass while there may be better technology out there the lenses themselves are still to an extent timeless. I would agree with you that there will always be a newer and better DSLR though.
... I only buy the newest, best thing out there.
Just a word to the wise: It will only be the newest, best thing out there until something better comes along.

Years ago I tried to do the same thing with computers. I finally came to the conclusion that technology was advancing a lot faster than I could pay for it so I slowed down, I started using what I had and forgetting about the bleeding edge of technology.

Overread, I do actually intend on picking up a teleconverter eventually but, that could be years down the line. As for the affording it thing, every penny is over time cash and to get into my finances a little, I'm very comfortable with my pay that I take home in just a 40 hour check which includes (Bill payments, retirement, and savings) the overtime has been earmarked already for the hobby. Honestly, the thought of taking out 8k from my safe is the part that turns my stomach. lol! I like that coin in the safe.
Get yourself a 1.7 or 2* teleconverter at some point down the line - the 70-200mm VR 2 (and IS 2 for Canon) is an outstanding lens! Good enough to take that and give you a good near or actual 400mm lens at the long end that can still deliver good image quality!

As for expensive purchases; eh who cares if you're not going pro "pro gear" is just a marketing label used to sell stuff. If you can afford it - if your not leaving your family and dependants lacking and provided that your significant other gets her/his expensive stuff too then - heck go for it and enjoy :)

Derrel, I'm thinking once I have made the purchase I too will be really happy. I think for me the problem I'm having is more that I'm paying cash for this. When I usually buy something it's on credit and so I make payments over time and it's not a big deal. This time though since there is a lil' one on the way I don't want to put any money on any credit cards and have that type of debt when the baby is born. Mortgage payment, monthly bills, groceries that is all. I'm also hopeful on your train of thought that the vrII will last 10 years.
I walked into ProPhoto Supply the day Nikon released the 70-200 VR for sale and asked Tom if by any chance they might happen to have the brand-new 70-200 VR...I knew they would not have it out here in podunkville...and he said, "Yeah, in fact we got a few of those in just this morning." He put one in my hands. Instant love-at-first-sight on that lens! I bought one on the spot for $1699. That was ten years ago.

While not a really "big" lens purchase like a 300 or 400 2.8, it was a substantial lens purchase, the third or fourth most-expensive lens I've bought, and it has been worth every single penny I payed. Time,after time,after time. As a DX lens, it is superb. As an FX lens, it is still very good. Not perfect, but still good. The corners do not perform as well on FX as they do on DX, until well stopped-down. The "new" 70-200 VR-II ought to have a similar 10-year run in it, I think.

:hail:Thank you again everyone for commenting with your words of wisdom.:hail: My wife and I are blessed in that we live comfortably on just straight 40 hour checks. With my type of work it is very common to work a lot of OT (which isn't relied upon) so I guess my concern here is also because I don't know what kind of fun expenses our lil' one is going to bring yet. I'm excited for this next big adventure in our lives and want to make smart decisions.

heck no, as long as you buy a big telephoto lens used in good shape at a good price you can get a bunch of use out of it, and sell it for what you paid.

I have owned a 500p f4, 300mm f2.8 af-s ii, 500mm f4 af-s ii, and now a 500mm vr. always broke even or made a few dollars and had a bunch of fun shooting wildlife with them. just insure the gear, I pay probably 1.5% per year of the actual retail of the bigger items I insure, like the 500mm, the d800 and the 70-200, so I can not worry about them as much and always make sure I keep my "investment" safe. I know everyone says big glass is not an investment. and it really isn't, but hopefully if you keep good care of the top quality equipment, you can get a good amount of use out of it, and it still be worth close to what your paid... its a lot better then a car as far as value goes.

I guess the only lens I kinda regret was the 24-70, mostly cause I bought it new, and paid $1890 for it, and sold it for like $1450, that was the only lens I really lost money on. nothing against buying new gear, but these pro-glass can be just as good used and save some money, as most people don't fill out the warranty cards and just send you them, and you can ask them for the original receipt and basically have the warranty.

the 70-200 vr II, is one of those lenses I don't think I could ever even think about selling, its just so useful for so many things. I think if times where tough or I had to pack light 1 trip, I could bring just the 70-200 and a small wide angle

Last edited:
Scott, I appreciate your words of wisdom. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, when it comes to the glass while there may be better technology out there the lenses themselves are still to an extent timeless. I would agree with you that there will always be a newer and better DSLR though.
Nope, you are absolutely correct. A good lens is a lifetime investment, and will be solid for years to come. However (there's always a "However") lenses are also becoming "High Tech" in several areas as well. Obviously there is the electronics in them, and who knows what changes that area will go through in the next few years. Perhaps someone will find a way to make them autofocus in 1/10th the time or something. Companies are able to mass-produce items these days at tolerances that had to be hand assembled only a couple of decades ago. That also allows designers to design things, such as complex lenses, that couldn't be economically built a few years ago.

But the main reason I made that comment was that you said you are also poised to purchase a D800, and that is most assuredly liable to change over the next few years. It's funny in one respect. If you stop and think about it, every body made today is going to be obsolete in a few years. That's a given because of technological advances. But what is odd is that they will still be just as good then as they are today and in reality it's only our perception of what is "Great" that changes. It's really hard to know where things will be a decade from now, but one thing is for sure: The camera bodies that are heralded as the greatest thing since sliced bread today will be completely outclassed by then.

I agree with Overread's comment. If you can afford it and want it then by all means go for it. But do so with your eyes open and realize that you'll be going through this same soul searching again in a couple of years ;)

I didn't think about it when I titled the thread "big lens purchase" but, I guess it's been in the back of my mind. I was actually going to buy a big boy piece of glass before we got the happy news. I was unsure of exactly which lens but, the original plan was big glass this year then the smaller ones next year and then by that time a new model camera would be out and I would pick that up. Best made plans right?
I know that it is said that they aren't an investment but, I look at it sort of like you said that if I take good care of what ever lenses I do buy they should at the very least hold their value for longer than if I was to rent them. (if that makes sense)
Right now I have everything on an insurance policy and trust me what ever I end up doing will also be placed on the policy. I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy used even though there are some good deals on stuff. I really like the fresh out of the box thing and am concerned about getting the shaft on a bad deal. The only way I would buy used I think is through a B&H or Adorama type of site. I have never had a bad online purchasing deal but, with a big purchase I would be very afraid.

heck no, as long as you buy a big telephoto lens used in good shape at a good price you can get a bunch of use out of it, and sell it for what you paid.

I have owned a 500p f4, 300mm f2.8 af-s ii, 500mm f4 af-s ii, and now a 500mm vr. always broke even or made a few dollars and had a bunch of fun shooting wildlife with them. just insure the gear, I pay probably 1.5% per year of the actual retail of the bigger items I insure, like the 500mm, the d800 and the 70-200, so I can not worry about them as much and always make sure I keep my "investment" safe. I know everyone says big glass is not an investment. and it really isn't, but hopefully if you keep good care of the top quality equipment, you can get a good amount of use out of it, and it still be worth close to what your paid... its a lot better then a car as far as value goes.

I just bought a 24-70 2.8II and a 70-200 2.8IS II and i regret not having them shipped overnight....Waiting for new toys sucks.

I'm completely aware that the cameras are ever changing. That is why my original plan was to just buy a big lens this year and buy the smaller ones next year and hopefully at that point the following year I would be able to pick up the top of the line camera at that time. I felt and feel that where I really want to invest first would be in the glass. However, with a little one on the way I am bailing on the original plan. I'm excited but... DANG! YAY!!! it's bitter sweet if ya catch my drift. :wink: You are right about the changes in technology. Ray Kurzwiel says that man kinds knowledge is expanding at an exponential rate and that we are (at least in his opinion) seeing the last generation of full humans. Eventually, he thinks we will see bionic people with chips installed at birth. Crazy!!!
I can easily afford it but, it doesn't make it any easier to hand over that kind of coin.

Nope, you are absolutely correct. A good lens is a lifetime investment, and will be solid for years to come. However (there's always a "However") lenses are also becoming "High Tech" in several areas as well. Obviously there is the electronics in them, and who knows what changes that area will go through in the next few years. Perhaps someone will find a way to make them autofocus in 1/10th the time or something. Companies are able to mass-produce items these days at tolerances that had to be hand assembled only a couple of decades ago. That also allows designers to design things, such as complex lenses, that couldn't be economically built a few years ago.

But the main reason I made that comment was that you said you are also poised to purchase a D800, and that is most assuredly liable to change over the next few years. It's funny in one respect. If you stop and think about it, every body made today is going to be obsolete in a few years. That's a given because of technological advances. But what is odd is that they will still be just as good then as they are today and in reality it's only our perception of what is "Great" that changes. It's really hard to know where things will be a decade from now, but one thing is for sure: The camera bodies that are heralded as the greatest thing since sliced bread today will be completely outclassed by then.

I agree with Overread's comment. If you can afford it and want it then by all means go for it. But do so with your eyes open and realize that you'll be going through this same soul searching again in a couple of years ;)

That made me chuckle. I know that feeling. I just got a new Mac and wish I would have had it shipped faster. I'm the type of person who is constantly checking the order status.
I just bought a 24-70 2.8II and a 70-200 2.8IS II and i regret not having them shipped overnight....Waiting for new toys sucks.

I think you should go for it. You have all your priorities taken care of. Of course I still vote for a 500 F4 :) Best of luck and congrats on all the new aspects and new journeys in your life...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back