Having small problem with lens.

Lol.

Not trying to say thats a dumb idea, But have you ever done this yourself or knew of anyone who ever did it?

Putting a lens in a freezer is totally safe for the lens?

Yup, I've had to do it three times that I can recall. It worked two out of the three. :D

Plastic expands when cold - metal contracts. Metal expands when warm - plastic contracts. It sounds funky but it can work if friction is the problem - and it sounds like it is.

And yes, it's totally safe if you can remember to get it out at about the 10 or 15 minute mark. If you fall asleep or something there could be trouble... ;)

Last edited:
Haha alright I will try it.
If my lens breaks I am still under warrenty, hope it will be covered.
If it works I will send you a package of hugs :]

If you don't want to put the whole lens in the freezer then just put some crushed ice in a plastic bag and rub it on the hood. When the hood is good and cold try to unscrew it.

cool. Let us know how it works out.

Took it to best buy, had a guy at geek squad (which I thought was only computers) look at it.

He told me it might be because of the material they use, its more matte(sp?) and tougher plastic or something.

He said he had a few sigma lenses come in with similar issues, and told me to take it to a real camera store, he was afraid to break it.

Oh well. It was worth the try.

Yup, I dont care if its stuck because I like having it on.
But I just hate how I cant put my lens cap in and I dont want dust going in because its so far inside the lens I dont want to clean it much :[

For 12 bucks, get yoiurself a Nikon lens cap that fits. You can then take it on and off easily. Nikon lens caps are center pinch, not like the side-pinch ones of all Sigmas.

Depends on the hood I guess.

Its stock sigma 105mm one.
I tried seeing if the lens hood it came with will go in, but sadly it dosnt because when putting lens hood on it covers the area that allows the lens cap to snap onto.

So I was wondering if there is a lens cap I can buy that goes in or on top of the lens hood.

I read a review that recommended a Tamron lens cap for Sigma lenses instead of the difficult-to-reach Sigma cap.

I have a neoprene lens sleeve for one of my lenses that fits over the top of the lens hood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back