Hawk ID Cooper's Hawk?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Woot! I FINALLY got a look at this guy when he wasn't picking a bird out of the air or going at high speed!

He showed up a while back, the first time I saw him he was mashed against the glass catching an unfortunate Junco, second time he picked one out of the air, this time I saw him go past the front and miss and head up towards a tree. I grabbed the camera and ran upstairs and there he was but not for long! This is the best shot of the 3 he let me have this time.

Wondering if he is a Cooper's Hawk? I want to research habits etc...
Thanks for taking a look! :)

Yep, its a Coopers hawk. You can tell by the tail. *Edit- It turns out I was wrong.*GASP* Most agree its a sharp shinned.

I have one that lives by me, but he doesn't land when I have my camera with me!

Nice capture!

Last edited:
Cool, thanks Parker.
This fellow has been quite elusive but active!

Pretty sure you got a sharp shinned hawk there coopers have different length tail feathers sharp shinned have the same length
Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks

Wow, those are very close. Now I am confused. :scratch:

Me too Parker but the tail sure does look straight across. I'll check the other two shots later and see if there is another angle.

Yeah, sharp-shinned hawks and Cooper's hawks look very, very similar. *I'd* say this is a sharp-shinned, but my hawk ID abilities are pretty rudimentary.

Coastalconn would know, but I'm not sure he's been on today.

I'm thinking it is a Sharpie, judging by how it is more barrel chested. Cooper's are longer and more slender. Was it smaller or larger than a crow? Although not 100% accurate relative size helps a lot as sharpies are generally 10-14" tall and Coopers are over 14" tall...

Thanks so much Sharon and Coastal!
He is sitting in that same tree right now as we speak (approx same time as the picture I posted for the ID was taken) and he is definitely a Sharp Shinned. His tail is dead straight across and he is a little smaller than a crow.
I would like to also say that I don't have enough light or lens to shoot him where he sits **sigh**

If he's been in that tree before, and he's in it now, he'll be in it again. So start thinking about a plan. How close can you get to the tree? Is there somewhere you could set up a "blind" of sorts to lie in wait for it?

I'd set me up some sort of camo "blind" to hide behind--then I'd monitor him, see if there are particular times of the day that he alights in the tree. Then I'd just park myself in my blind--I've been known to sit in one spot for HOURS waiting on a bird to show up. That's what I'm currently doing with my bald eagles; so far, I've gotten only one shot of it perched and it was too far away. I can't get very close, because the tree is on private property. I've been hoping to encounter the owner and ask permission to set up in their field for a while...but they have a gated driveway, so I'm just gonna have to be lucky enough to catch them going in or out.

Thanks Sharon, good luck on your quest! I have no doubt you will get some great shots :)

I don't have near the challenge that you have. His chosen tree is outside an upstairs window, but, it is right at the edge of my reach with my 18-200. On the upside he will fly out on an angle towards my right so some action shots are most likely, roosting will be rough to pull off.

Oops, couple shots from the window... Truly so close but just out of reach!!

$image-3072856929.jpg

$image-3309144244.jpg

Well, in THAT case...there is only one solution to this problem.
Feed your family nothing but ramen noodles and rice and beans for the next month so that you can afford a longer lens. :biglaugh:
Get your priorities straight. :D

Haha! I like the way you think!!

Aaaaaand this morning when I was checking for the hawk I found a huge owl!!!

(But the camera was still set on a 2sec timer so I got a picture of the window frame lol)

Most reactions

Back