hazy film

The pictures of the negatives helped a lot. As I mentioned above there are no "blotches" on the film, so, as I stated earlier, there are NO light leaks. Despite the comment above, a scan of a negative with a light leak will show a light leak....that's kind of how scanning works. Scanning software can not magically smooth out light leaks...

The numbers on the sides of the film are good, solid, black numbers. The film was seriously under exposed.

Part of the underexposure could be from the light meter, OR if I understand it correctly, failing to either use the light meter, or to transfer the settings from the external meter to the camera's f/stop and shutter speed control wheels before making most of the shots. My experience with similar age cameras with in-built but non-couple and or couple external-moiunted light meters is that normal, indoor light levels are about the bottom end of sensitivity for those meters. Zenit and Zeiss Ikon cameras I had were right at the edge of metering range indoors at f/2.8 at 1/30 second.

Anyway...it's easy to forget to transfer a meter reading from the meter and to the f/stop and shutter speed controls. Seems like that might have happened. Some faster-ISO film might help indoors too, having seen some blurred shots in earlier posts.
So the answer to your original question, is she underexposing is YES, in almost all cases, she is under-exposing.

awesome thank you so much for the help! for her next roll she shoots ill have her log everything so we can keep an eye on all this.

Get that shutter looked at.

Good thing you ignored that silly post #2 in this thread.

Yeah those look like some really thin negatives... I agree it doesn't look like light leaks, and getting the shutter and/or meter checked for accuracy would probably be a good idea. If the camera's meter would come up with a setting as in the example, a 1/4 shutter speed is awfully slow and wouldn't seem usable; that would tell me it's probably too dark where I am for the film ISO I have in the camera.

I was thinking too I might do some test shots of the same subject/scene (same light, at the same time) with this camera and another one that you use and know gives you good results to compare.

If she's using 100 speed film indoors that might be too slow, I usually use 400 indoors/low light.

Most reactions

Back