HDR Smoky Mountain streams - cc

doziergraphic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All are HDR - three shots. Kind of a windy day - tough trying HDR with the leaves moving.

041111_IMG_0171_1_web.jpg

041111_IMG_0171_2_web.jpg
041111_IMG_0171_2_web.jpg
041111_IMG_0183_2_web.jpg

041111_IMG_0171_3_web.jpg
041111_IMG_0195_3_web.jpg

041211_IMG_0090_4_web.jpg

041211_IMG_0087_5_web.jpg

041111_IMG_0192_6_web.jpg

Where did you take those?
If ya don't mind me askin.

1,2,3 and 6 were taken in the 11-mile loop called Roaring Forks. If you're in Gatlinburg (sp?) You go east at Light 3 and look for the signs. It's a one-way loop, and has a lot of fast-moving streams. I was lucky enough to find it on the morning after a good rain, so the water was up a bit. If you don't have much time THIS is the THE place to go first and foremost for some great water shots.

The one with the mill building I was in the middle of the creek on a big rock. I came back an hour later and the rock was underwater.

The others were taken (I believe) at Laurel Falls - about a 3 mile hike just west of the Sugar Creek Visitor Center. Made the mistake of going in afternoon (didn't expect the sun and 90 degree temps that hit when the early cloud cover broke).

btw, many people rave about the Cades Cove loop - I found it boring. Other than a few abandoned log homes/school/church, there wasn't much there - I guess I didn't know what to look for!?

Hope that helps.

I actually have no idea where those places are,
but if I'm ever in that area I know where to go for some great shots.

I really wish there were some places like that in my area.

thought I'd throw this one in - same area. Threw it in park, opened the car door and used it as a brace due to the very low light.

Shot this at ISO 1600, f/10, 1/50th.

041211_IMG_0156_7.JPG

Cades Cove is for finding bears and looking at horses. The bear sightings take some work, but if you look hard enough you can find one during each loop. Do the Chimney Tops trail and get the Road prong creek for some good photos! And it sure looks like Laurel Falls was roaring today!

Thanks! I hope to go back before the end of May while the hotels in Pigeon Forge are still just $19.99! Heck of a deal! And it was beautiful weather! You're lucky to be that close to a wonderland like the Smokies!

I'm in Nashville, I'll have to get out there sometime - those are nice locations and those look great.

#2 is my FAVE! I will have to bookmark this thread. We usually head to PF/Gatlinburg a few times a year, so it would be fun to find these spots!

True, for the most part darkhunter, moving objects like leaves aren't great for HDR. But why specificially, and what are you referring to? appreciate the opinion, just trying to flesh it out for your thoughts. Thanks.

#2 Is beautiful. I feel like it completely captures the essence of the smokies.

I like #4 the best. I think in the others, the water looks great... but the rest of the scene looks too real. Just as you mentioned, it was hard to HDR the leaves. I feel like I'm looking at a fake stream inserted into a real scene. #4 looks almost all HDR, so my mind can buy into the surrealism, if that makes sense.

thought I'd throw this one in - same area. Threw it in park, opened the car door and used it as a brace due to the very low light.

Shot this at ISO 1600, f/10, 1/50th.

041211_IMG_0156_7.JPG

Great shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back