HDR with 3 shots vs a single shot

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Normally I bracket three shots (-2, 0, +2) and then merge them on a software to do some extra pp on it. However, I was recently told that the same thing can be done with a single image. For example, I can open the 'normal' image in Lightroom, create 2 virtual copies, change the exposure on each one -2 and +2, and then simply export them into a program like HDR Efex Pro.

My question is whether there would be any differences between going this way and doong three separate exposures? i.e. does manually changing the exposure of the same image result in a different image than the one created via auto bracketing?

Thanks!

I have tried both methods, after comparing both of the results, I really can't tell the difference.

It may vary based on the scene / the lighting though.

I heard the creating 2 virtual copies method is better because you don't have to worry about ghosting / alignment issues.

Plus you can HDR moving objects.

If you really want to, post some images and lets test it!

Last edited:
YOu should try it and see how it comes out.

I have done both and sometimes it works and sometimes its not as good and I get banding. If you take a +2,0,-2 each image has a DR that can be tweaked. So with a 0 exposures and adjusted in LR to make three you will not have the same DR there for may not be able to get the exact same results. A 0 can only give so much DR as -2 and +2 this is why most folks will use multiple photos. I have even done 5,7 and 9 exposures. 7-9 Exposures is what I would use in low light and night HDR many times.

What you have mentioned is what we call Faux HDR. It can be very effective as long as you don't exceed the DR while you are processing. This also works great for people photography. Wanting that grunge look or wanting to mix HDR look and realistic look.

here is an example of using one image and creating an HDR. Then masking out the skin tones so that the person is not tone mapped.

zeah grinding by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

I've used PSE's exposure merge to do this but didn't care for the results. I haven't tried it since I got HDR Efex Pro, so I don't know how it will work. There will be some on this site that will tell you that it doesn't matter because it is still just the dynamic range of one photo, as opposed to the dynamic range of 7 photos at different exposures.

I honestly don't know who is right or whether it will make a difference. But I'm interested in reading the debate.

Taking a single image cannot increase the dynamic range of the final edit, no matter what you do in post.

Its not the same, but it can produce almost the same results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that tone mapping works for some images; portraits, for example, but not others. Same thing with HDR. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Typically I use 5 images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back