HDR?

Corvphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i googled it and i somewhat understand it but can anyone tell me if there is a way i could learn to do HDR images? I love the way they look. is there a site?

Depends, do you like HDR or those cartoon-like overly tonemapped images?

The tutorial above should get you started.

Last edited:
Depends, do you like HDR or those cartoon-like overly tonemapped images?

The tutorial above should get you started.

Im not exactly sure what the difference is. Am i allowed to post someones picture im talking about?

Don't post the picture directly. Post a link to the picture.

Those photos are tone mapped. Tone Mapping and HDR use the same software. In tone mapping you start with one exposure, while with HDR you start with 2 or more exposures. It's very difficult to do HDR with models. The models have to remain motionless for 2 or more pictures.

No, you can also tonemap with more than one exposure.

And yes, using a model is tricky unless one uses AEB in continuous firing mode.

HDR stands for "High Dynamic Range". Basically, cameras can't see the entire range of light that our eyes can. If you've ever taken a picture on a bright sunny day of something in the shadows, you'll know what I mean. You can either see what's in the shadows, or the sky. Not both. But our eyes can. HDR is the remedy to this problem. You take several shots at different exposures (typically, at least 3). Some of the shots will be over exposed, some will be under exposed, and some will be in the middle. Then, the images are merged with software to give us an image that's more "true to life".

By messing with the settings in the HDR software, you can give images more contrast and saturation than the original image had. The result is a dramatic image that usually looks fake or CG. Some people like it, some don't.

The software most commonly used for this is Photomatix. It's not free, but you can download a fully functional trial that saves the image with a water mark. If you like it, it's $99 for the license.

BTW: Most cameras allow "Auto Exposure Bracketing" (AEB) that will take 3 or more pictures in a row, automatically under exposing, proper exposing, and then over exposing the scene for you. I recommend using this instead of changing the settings yourself. It's unlikely that you can change the settings without moving the camera.

yea, i think my canon rebel EOS only has -2, 0, +2. does that mean my pictures will look less HDRish?

no, that just means it will only do 3 exposures in AEB mode.

you can make as many as you like using a manual mode. You would only change the shutter speed. Put the camera on a tripod, and use mirror lock up if your camera has that function and take as many images as the exposure range calls for.

post pocessing gives it that "look"

excellent. cant wait to try it. thanks for the links and the help

Those photos are tone mapped. Tone Mapping and HDR use the same software. In tone mapping you start with one exposure, while with HDR you start with 2 or more exposures. It's very difficult to do HDR with models. The models have to remain motionless for 2 or more pictures.

Sorry I should of said "In tone mapping you start with one or more exposures"

Let us know how it goes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back