He hammered his lens

I use UV filters not because I am afraid it will scratch, I use them because I don't want the original lens coating to collect dust which I then have to clean. It's a lot easier and less worrying to just clean the UV filter.

Buy a microfiber cloth and lose the UV filter.

Since it was done with a cheap Canon lens, I would say - yes, you are 100% correct, I would not put a UV filter on a cheap Canon lens. Now to really prove a point I think some of you "don't worry about it" people should duplicate it with video with some of your expensive Canon L lenses and Nikon lenses! :thumbup: That really would be the tell tale result!:lmao:

Just kidding. Yes, it actually changed my point of view on how robust lenses actually are ... of course it wasn't posted until AFTER I bought my UV filters. :lol:

Is the message clearer now to all you "UV-filter-is-a-must-have" worrying Nancies??????? Can you believe the deliberate abuse that cheap Canon 50 took,without so much as a scratch or chip????

I can see that optical lens elements are robust, but what about the "flat glass" that many lenses have obstructing the front element?

Cool -- but will it still auto focus?

I just got that lense for my friend who has a canon for $50. he was worried it was garbage so I have to send him that.

Is the message clearer now to all you "UV-filter-is-a-must-have" worrying Nancies???????

I use UV filters not because I am afraid it will scratch, I use them because I don't want the original lens coating to collect dust which I then have to clean. It's a lot easier and less worrying to just clean the UV filter.

Exactly. I use Clear filters though.

man that is just like the stupid people that bought the ipad just to walk out the store open the box and smash it on the sidewalk... it just proves that alot of people are idiots.

fake no way... if i get a spare £100 i might test it...

Is the message clearer now to all you "UV-filter-is-a-must-have" worrying Nancies??????? Can you believe the deliberate abuse that cheap Canon 50 took,without so much as a scratch or chip????

Constantly cleaning a lens is bad, as it gradually wears on the surfaces from the dust that accumulates. Outdoors, dust is everywhere. I use UV filters except when shooting into the sun, to keep my lenses clean.

Most reactions

Back