Heading to NYC! Suggestions?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I haven't been posting on the forums much lately.. been busy, but I hope to be more regular soon with some shoots I've got coming up.

Anyway, I'm on the train to NYC right now, and I'm basically winging it. I've got some friends I'm staying with, and I've got some headshots and fashion shoots planned.

But I'd love to get some skyline shots, and otherwise cool photos - any suggestions? I'm thinking of going to Liberty Island and getting shots of the Statue of Liberty, and the skyline from there as well, but I'm open to other ideas!

And general NYC tips are appreciated as well.

Hey guys,

I haven't been posting on the forums much lately.. been busy, but I hope to be more regular soon with some shoots I've got coming up.

Anyway, I'm on the train to NYC right now, and I'm basically winging it. I've got some friends I'm staying with, and I've got some headshots and fashion shoots planned.

But I'd love to get some skyline shots, and otherwise cool photos - any suggestions? I'm thinking of going to Liberty Island and getting shots of the Statue of Liberty, and the skyline from there as well, but I'm open to other ideas!

I recommend a walk down the HighLine, an elevated park created from abandoned railroad tracks. It runs along the west side of Manhattan and provides interesting views of unusual architecture etc. Get on at about 30th Street, where it starts, and walk down to the end, about a forty minute walk as I remember, without stops for photography. At the end of the HighLine you will find the Whitney Museum. There are great views from the open patios on every level, just calling for wide angle shots. You might want to check online to see if docents are available when you walk the HighLine. Enjoy your visit to NYC.

If you decide to do one of the touristy skyscrapers, I recommend Top of the Rock instead of Empire State. From the Rock you can get good shots of the ESB which to me is better than being on ESB. Also on a clear day you can get shots of Statue of Liberty and overlooks of Central Park from up there. If you time it right and have patience you can get sunset views and some blue hour/city lights photos.

Don't buy any watch's on the street

Hey guys,

I recommend a walk down the HighLine, an elevated park created from abandoned railroad tracks. It runs along the west side of Manhattan and provides interesting views of unusual architecture etc. Get on at about 30th Street, where it starts, and walk down to the end, about a forty minute walk as I remember, without stops for photography. At the end of the HighLine you will find the Whitney Museum. There are great views from the open patios on every level, just calling for wide angle shots. You might want to check online to see if docents are available when you walk the HighLine. Enjoy your visit to NYC.

Seconded.

Also take the ferry over to Brooklyn and get some shots from Dumbo.

Hey guys,

Seconded.

Dumbo?

Hey guys,

Seconded.

Dumbo?

It's a Brooklyn neighborhood. Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass = Dumbo.

An example of the view looking west towards lower Manhattan:
Hills of Brooklyn

Thank you all for the feedback. Unfortunately, I had to cut my trip short for personal reasons, so I wasn't able to see a ton. I did get out to Central Park one day though, which was nice. And I did go to the Rock, only to realize it was booked and I couldn't get up there in time for sunset.

Most reactions

Back