"HELLO" & 17-40L?

DEANO914

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HELLO Everyone, I have to start by saying how much I enjoy this forum. I sit here for hours every day reading every thread and enjoying everyone's photo's (EJBPhoto & JodieO, you two are awesome!) And Big Mike, wow do you know your stuff!

Back to my post question.... Right now when my wife and I go out for a walk or a drive I usaully grab my cam. w/ kit 18-55 and my pics are very poor (no pop) My wife's P&S are just as good if not better, and she lets me know :greenpbl:. So I want to buy a walk around lens and I am leaning towards the 17-40L for my budget. I know I could do Tam. or Sig. but really want to buy another L.

Can anyone give me feedback on the 17-40L THANKS TO ALL &
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Welcome! :)

If your images do not "pop" then you might refer to contrast and saturation? P&S cameras often oversaturate the colours quite a bit when translating the sensor signal into an actual image.

With dSLRs this processing is usually done less aggressive, since the photographer should be able to decide himself if he wants candy disney colours or very accurate colour gradients and more detail. So this decision is then often made in postprocessing.

P&S image are made to print them directly, whereas dSLR images
are usually postprocessed a bit according to the scene depicted and the purpose of the image.

oh, and the 17-40 L is a very nice lens for its price. I'd say one of the best value for money L lenses.

I use it on full frame where it shows some weaknesses in the corners if wide open, but not too bad.

I have not heard anything bad about that lens. Only real knock is that is an f/4 but at that price you really can't complain. Also agree with Alex in that you will have to do some post in at least Camera RAW or PS to get your images to "pop". Usually a slight tweak in contrast and saturation will do.

C'mon guy's, there has to be more people w/ this lens. Any pic's would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

I'm not a Canon user, but welcome just the same.

This review on photozone.de for that lens may help.

Honestly... I see way too many people blame the equipment and plan on a purchase whenever their photos do not come out the way they expect.

How about post some of your photos with the kit lens and let us take a look?

btw... 17-40L is a good lens but a new lens (even L's) does not guarantee anything..

Looking at other people's photos rarely means much....

Honestly... I see way too many people blame the equipment and plan on a purchase whenever their photos do not come out the way they expect.

HONESTLY...I DON'T REMEMBER ASKING ANYONE TO CRITIQUE MY ABILITY, I AM NOT A GREEN SQUARE SHOOTER. I AM NOT "BLAMING THE EQUIPMENT" IT'S A KNOWN FACT THAT THE 18-55 KIT LENS IS JUNK COMPARED TO ANY "L" LENS. I OWN A 2.8L AN THE DIFFERENCE IS NIGHT AND DAY. ALL I ASK FOR WAS IMPUT ON THE 17-40L.

Oh, so sensitive and so soon. Since you're definitely not "green", you must realize that CAPS are the equalivent to expressing yourself emphatically or sends the message of yelling. While one can be construed as a neccasary point of emphasis in short burst, the other can be considered as rude.

Oh, so sensitive and so soon. Since you're definitely not "green", you must realize that CAPS are the equalivent to expressing yourself emphatically or sends the message of yelling. While one can be construed as a neccasary point of emphasis in short burst, the other can be considered as rude.

SORRY! kundalina, I was not trying to be rude, but I was yelling. I believe someone that starts their post out with "Honestly" is being rude theirself. but with that said I apologize, two wrongs don't make a right.:blushing:

The 17-40 L is a fantastic lens. I don't own it but I've seen plenty of photos from it. Most say that the color rendition is phenomenal.

That being said, the 18-55 kit lens should still be able to out perform just about any digi-cam. There are plenty of ways to make a photos 'pop' that don't include getting a better lens...but it doesn't hurt.

HONESTLY...I DON'T REMEMBER ASKING ANYONE TO CRITIQUE MY ABILITY, I AM NOT A GREEN SQUARE SHOOTER. I AM NOT "BLAMING THE EQUIPMENT" IT'S A KNOWN FACT THAT THE 18-55 KIT LENS IS JUNK COMPARED TO ANY "L" LENS. I OWN A 2.8L AN THE DIFFERENCE IS NIGHT AND DAY. ALL I ASK FOR WAS IMPUT ON THE 17-40L.

Don't yell... It was an observation that I do see a lot. I made three points in my response

1) the 17-40 is a good lens (what more do you want?)
2) the lens is part of the equation.. not "THE" equation.
3) post a photo from you 18-55 to help everyone see what exactly does not meet your expectations

I don't care if you own an f2.8 lens... it has nothing to do with what you are asking... in fact the 17-40L is an f4 lens.

You sound like a fustrated baseball kid that is too busy yelling at the bat rather than listening to the coach.

oh yeh.. how could I critique your ability when I haven't seen anything....?????

Yeah the ALL CAPS/yelling was rude and very "forum noob"esque. To add: Honestly, saying honestly just means there's no other way to put something without lying and he had a valid point. Often times people blame the equipment before taking the punch themselves and having not seen your work we could assume that if we wanted to. Your "blurry" pictures may actually be your fault, they might not be, don't take it as an attack because we're not attacking an actual photo of yours, just a possibility given the information we have been given in your post. A hypothesis, if you will. It could be possible, but it could be wrong, and we have to prove it either right or wrong for final judgement. Chill out.

come on people, stop the fighting over nothing here .. really.

Most reactions

Back