Hello all, i'm back and need opinions on purchasing my first pro DSLR

Soliloquy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so i have decided that the two cameras that are high quality, deliver what i need and are in my budget are these two:
Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP

or
Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital

Now which one to pick?
Will it suffice if i want to come out with exceptional quality as far as "professional" goes? What i mean to say is as far as most customers desire. Should i take it up a notch in the camera or the lens? I don't know if these are TOO beginner for someone that would like to really advance in photographic techniques and hopefully start up a freelancing gig for an array of venues. Also, i plan to transfer a lot of the images to different forms of material such as cotton and linen paper. Obviously a good printer comes into play as well.

Am i going about choosing my cam in the right way? Should i get a better model refurbished or a new one of these two?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

those aren't "pro" cameras. and your glass matters more.

Yeah, neither of those are pro, and if this is your first experience with a DSLR you should probably rethink trying to start a business right off the bat... Since that sounds like that's what you want to do. Do you know how to read a light meter, and what relationship aperture, shutter speed, and ISO have?

Neither of those cameras are professional cameras.

They are good entry level cameras and will give decent quality results.

Will it suffice if i want to come out with exceptional quality as far as "professional" goes? What i mean to say is as far as most customers desire.

That is all about your lenses and not as much about your body.

You mention working freelance at venues? I assume low light music gigs and such? That means you need an exceptional high ISO performance. I'd think something like a 5D MkII would be idea for this (or 1D if you have the coin). A 7D right behind there. Then the 40D...then the rebel T2i.

If you have a limited budget but want to grow as a photographer, then get a cheaper camera and invest on great lenses. The lenses will be with you for a long time, the body will be upgraded in a few years.

Get a 50mm f/1.4. Alot recommend the cheaper 1.8, but the 1.4 is nicer. Get it now and you wont regret it.

I don't plan on starting off the bat lol I am taking a photography class and hope to eventually embark on starting my own business once i am studied enough. No, i don't know much about the ISO settings and everything else you mentioned. OK people, again i am a beginner here and asked if it was TOO basic, which is the only answer i got so far that is actual advice. So if they aren't "pro" enough to use later on for more quality pics, what should i start off with? I got these from a website that raved about the best DSLR's of 2010... I saw others on that list that were extremely out of my price range upwards of 1000.00. I really just need some input on a user friendly camera i can start out with that will suffice for professional pictures later on.

Also, regarding lenses: I was trying to find out if i could buy a cheaper camera like one of those listed above and just get better lenses for more quality pics.

Big, thank you for all that info. It was helpful and exactly what i needed to know.Th venues i meant were low light concerts and just events in general. I need to be able to capture crisp stills during lots of movement. I think i will purchase the more updated T1i and get the lense you mentioned. Though i wonder if it would be smarter to invest in a refurb that is considered pro. I do know that the camera i end up with will be a Canon.

I would seriously consider the T1i or even an XSI over the XS. I had an XSI and its a great camera when coupled with good lenses. All my pictures pre April of this year were with my XSI.

Dont get too into the numbers at this point. Alot of beginner cameras are great cameras to start with. But they wont be the cameras you will end up with in 3-4 years (or more) when you start working as a pro.

Yes, it is not a pro level camera but that does not mean you cant produce pro level quality. It all comes down to the product you are producing.

You're getting way ahead of yourself. You are talking about doing pro work? Why? You're not even a beginner yet.

The world needs plumbers more than 'photographers'.

i just went with the T1i over XS. Comes in tomorrow. Not sure if you bought it but www.centraldigital.com has it for $615 incase you found something a little more expensive. They have quick shipping for $5 which is what I did.

And like others are saying, you need a good lens. Don't expect to get any camera and think you will be able to take pic like the next pro guy that's been doing it for years unless you have had practice. I'd go with T1i which will give you years and years till you'll ever need to change it to something more expensive (full frame camera)

I don't feel i am getting ahead of myself just by wanting to take pics once i get good enough and charging for them. I wouldn't call myself a "pro" I would use my skills and offer my creativity paired with my knowledge that i will have attained, to produce nice work. And this is in the long run, not 3-4 yrs down the road, but not next month.

With that said, if it's all about the lens delivering the quality, what is the biggest payoff for buying a better body? higher Iso and aperture? I am thinking hard about getting a refurb 50D.

aperture comes from the lens not camera body. that statement tells me you really are ahead of yourself

Yeah and your response to my first post shows me that you don't read thoroughly :)

We all make mistakes.

I don't expect to be taking pro like pics off the bat and i have had some experience with ISO, aperture and exposure with friends cameras. Just not in great depth. I have used multiple exposure and the fish lense, experimented with different lighting etc but i don't have anything down pact. It is still a task to figure out which lighting goes with which ISO setting. Essentially, i am a beginner with some experience.

Regardless, what is the biggest pay off in buying a Canon EOS 50D over a T1i ? That is a better way of asking.

Last edited:
buy an entry level dslr. use the extra mone to buy faster lenses and the book Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson

I have a Canon Rebel XS and I really like it for learning! Tons of lens options, too. I'd totally recommend it!

Most reactions

Back