Hello from East TN

One2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello
Where to start? My name is Vince and I live in East TN. I’ve been browsing this forum for a few months and finally decided to join. Prior to browsing this forum I had no real experience with photography. I have had the point and shoot type cameras but have never owned anything that went into full manual mode. I am an analytical type person (accounting background) and not very creative. I wanted to be more creative so I thought I would look into photography. It’s funny because after doing some research I’ve come to realize that not only is photography creative but there is also an analytical side to it.

Over the past couple of months (when I’ve had time) I’ve read up on the exposure triangle, composition and a variety of other aspects of photography. I have a basic understanding of the exposure triangle but have yet to put it into practice. I’m currently reading Bryan Peterson’s books Understanding Exposure and Learning how to see creatively. When I originally started looking at cameras I was set on the D5100. I downloaded a PDF of the manual and started reading it along with the other books mentioned above. Within the past couple of weeks I started looking at the D90. After reading a bit on this forum and other forums it seems that most veteran photographers recommended the D90. So, I ended up buying the D90 yesterday. I have the battery charged but I’m waiting for my 8mb sandisk to get here. I haven’t yet started reading the manual but will do that soon.
I plan to get a tripod and maybe some filters. I need to read up a bit more on filters because I don’t understand the different types and what you can accomplish with them. I’m not sure if I’ll get a new lens in the near future. I really want learn what I can with the kit lens. If I do get one it will probably be a 50mm prime.

If you’ve made it this far, I thank you for taking the time to read this. If there are any general suggestions or tips please feel free to let me know. I’m also open to other reading material if someone would like to make suggestions. I have bookmarked a lot of suggested reading material but I’m sure there is more out there.

Hi.

Questions ask, answer try, we will give.

Photography has a certain logical procedure ... but the form of the final image is all creativity.

Vince, welcome - you live in a beautiful area.... I spent quite a bit of time in Kingsport/Erwin area over the years.

Hello, and welcome, from a fellow East Tennessean!!

The D90 is a great choice; I have the D5100 and my sister has the D90. I like them both; there are pros and cons to each, but I'm perfectly happy with my D5100, for the next year or so until I'll probably look at upgrading to a D7000.

General suggestions/tips:
Read that manual! More than once.
Since you're a technical/analytical sorta guy, you should pick up on the technical aspects pretty quickly (exposure triangle, etc). But Composition may be something you want to really concentrate on if you're not "creative." My suggestions: when you start shooting, go out with very specific purposes. Shoot for composition--purposely make sure your subject is along one of the rule-of-thirds lines, keep your horizons straight, etc. Also, do some specific experiments. Take an object and shoot it at a set ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Then, from the same distance, change ONE thing. Maybe the aperture. Take several shots, continuing to change your aperture and see what happens to the resulting picture. With your analytical skills, that should help you pretty quickly to go from head knowledge to practical knowledge of the technical aspects.

For the creative/composition part: Post some pics here and ask questions. But also, READ the C&C given for others' photos. What was pointed out that made them "good" or "not so good" photos? Then look at your own photos and ask yourself if the C&C comments could apply to your results.

Most of all, have fun and SHOOT something!

Welcome :) My only advice is to get out there and shoot! Be aware of what your settings were (thank you digital metadata so it doesn't have to be written down!), and see what you like about some and what you dislike-- then go shoot some more and try tweaking the settings to get more keepers than tossers. Rinse and repeat -- things will click:)

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

@Joey - yes this is a great area for anything outdoors, whether it be hiking, biking, boating and motorcycle riding. I'm sure I'll have plenty to photograph. I just need to figure out what it is haha.

@sm4him - thank you for the tips/suggestions. I will definitely need to work on the creative/composition side of it. I hope the books I'm reading will give me something to go on. I'm sure they will. Having been around here for a few months, I know the importance of reading the manual. :).

@copelscope - thank you for the advice. I definitely need to take a wide range of pictures and mess with the different settings. I hope to find time in the next couple of days to get the camera out of the box. Having a 22 month old daughter, a sick wife and another baby on the way doesn't make for much time :).

Thank you again everyone.

Hi and welcome. Congrats on the D90

We ride sportbikes up in that area and I'll be heading from Tampa to Crossville, TN in May. We'll be riding all over east TN, west NC, and the mountain stretch of GA =)

We ride sportbikes up in that area and I'll be heading from Tampa to Crossville, TN in May. We'll be riding all over east TN, west NC, and the mountain stretch of GA =)

I actually lived in Crossville about 6 years ago but moved further east for a much better paying job. I had an R1 several years ago but low-sided and went tumbling over the side of the hill/mountain. Fortunately, I was wearing full leathers, as I usually do. I was coming down a steep hill and hit a decreasing radius turn (I had never been on this road) and hit a pothole. I was leaned over pretty far and my front forks didn't have enough travel in them to absorb the hole, so I low-sided. It was obviously my fault. I should have been looking further into the turn to avoid the pothole and probably should have been going a little slower :). I had considered getting a Gix 750 but with daycare costs for two kids (which will cost more than our mortgage) I don't think it's in the budget :)

I actually lived in Crossville about 6 years ago but moved further east for a much better paying job. I had an R1 several years ago but low-sided and went tumbling over the side of the hill/mountain. Fortunately, I was wearing full leathers, as I usually do. I was coming down a steep hill and hit a decreasing radius turn (I had never been on this road) and hit a pothole. I was leaned over pretty far and my front forks didn't have enough travel in them to absorb the hole, so I low-sided. It was obviously my fault. I should have been looking further into the turn to avoid the pothole and probably should have been going a little slower :). I had considered getting a Gix 750 but with daycare costs for two kids (which will cost more than our mortgage) I don't think it's in the budget :)

I agree and with kids its not the safest hobby around either =)

Most reactions

Back