Hello from Suffolk - A stereo photography fan and historian

Stereoview Paul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All, As well as collecting and taking stereo photographs, I am currently writing a book about the Great War stereoviews from Realistic Travels. I hope to be able to share some of my photos here and get some help in identifying the vintage cameras that were used.

I have attached a recent photo of mine from my Fujifilm W3

92 Squadron.JPG

Cheers - Paul

Welcome! I don’t recall anyone saying they are in your niche, so you will be THE stereo photography expert for the forum🥳

Welcome to the forum Paul, I'm just across the boarder in Essex :)
You've got an unusual niche, not one I've seen on any of the forums I frequent.

Which station is it in your photo? It's not one I've visited.

Welcome to the forum Paul, I'm just across the boarder in Essex :)
You've got an unusual niche, not one I've seen on any of the forums I frequent.

Which station is it in your photo? It's not one I've visited.
Hi, the station is at Wansford on the Nene Valley Railway - the locomotive is 92 Squadron, a Light Pacific.

As to stereo photography, it is really sad that this format largely disappeared in the 1930's. It was not always that way, during the American Civil war of the 1860's the majority of photographs taken were stereoviews and many of the iconic images of the SS Great Eastern are actually half stereoviews!

Hi, the station is at Wansford on the Nene Valley Railway - the locomotive is 92 Squadron, a Light Pacific.

As to stereo photography, it is really sad that this format largely disappeared in the 1930's. It was not always that way, during the American Civil war of the 1860's the majority of photographs taken were stereoviews and many of the iconic images of the SS Great Eastern are actually half stereoviews!
Thanks.
The Nene valley railway is nearly a couple of hours from me, Colne Valley railway & Hedingham railway are both closer to me. High time I visited one of them again.

Is there a convenient way to view stereoviews without one of the old viewers? If there is you could end up reviving interest in them :)

Printed at a slightly smaller size, many people can just free view the images. There are also lots of simple handheld viewers like the owl viewer from London Stereoscopic or the Loreo one.

No need for a stereo camera either, as long as you have a static subject you can 'cha-cha'. Hold the camera normally, then transfer your weight to your left foot take a photo and then transfer your weight to the right foot to take the second. Your body will naturally move by an approximation to the required distance. You can simply 'gallery' the two side by side or use a program such as Stereo Photo Maker to give you some other options.

Printed at a slightly smaller size, many people can just free view the images. There are also lots of simple handheld viewers like the owl viewer from London Stereoscopic or the Loreo one.

No need for a stereo camera either, as long as you have a static subject you can 'cha-cha'. Hold the camera normally, then transfer your weight to your left foot take a photo and then transfer your weight to the right foot to take the second. Your body will naturally move by an approximation to the required distance. You can simply 'gallery' the two side by side or use a program such as Stereo Photo Maker to give you some other options.
Thanks I've just ordered an Owl & a couple of 'lite owls', which should remind me to give this a go.
It will certainly be too late for our club's exhibition next month, (I expect viewers would disappear anyway) but they'll make an interesting addition if we do any more one day displays!

Last edited:

Thanks for the information!

As a fervent writing enthusiast, stumbling upon the "Errors Writing Documents Folder macOS Helper 1.2 + PortableApps.com Platform" was a revelation. This innovative tool seamlessly resolved my persistent document organization issues on macOS, offering a smoother writing experience. Its compatibility with the PortableApps.com Platform brought an added layer of convenience to my creative process. Crafting this opinion essay How to Write an Opinion Essay: Structure, Examples | EssayPro is a joyous task, thanks to the newfound order in my digital workspace. This software isn't just a helper; it's a writing ally, transforming what was once a folder conundrum into a streamlined haven for my ideas to flourish.
Thanks for the information!

Last edited:
Howdy and welcome! One way to simulate a stereo-viewer is to use one of those low budget smartphone VR headsets. With the two images side by side with phone in landscape orintation, one for the right eye and one for the left eye, and it can do a fair job at mimicking the stereo-view. I've seen this technique used for 3D images and short animations to good effect.

Hi welcome, just for a moment there I thought I was seen double.... I was lol

Most reactions

Back