Hello! got some newbie questions for ya!

Boogeyman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My names christian and ive always loved photography but never took the time to actually persue it. Recently ive decided im done puttin it off and that its time to stop cameras and get one of my own. I really wanted an older 35mm film slr camera (mostly if not completely manual). Ive narrowed it down to 4 choices but im open to any suggestions, my choices are: A milolta srt 101, pentax spotmatic (my favorite out of the choices), A pentax k1000, A pentax sv. So I was wondering what kind of camera similar to those that you would reccomend for a photographer whos just starting out and on a budget? Also what attatchements (lens, flash, etc.) would you reccomend to go with that camera? Any additional advice is much appreciated :) Cant wait to hear what you guys have to say!

I would say the Pentax K1000; tons of great legacy glass that can be had for peanuts, and a tough, well-built body. Can't go wrong. Spotmatics are good too, but by now, they're old enough that I think you might experience problems with the cloth shutters.

Thanks! I was told by a friend that pentax are very reliable and cheap. I was leaning towards a spotmatic or a k1000 because I heard theyre great student cameras but Im leaning more towards the k1000 because of availibility and good reviews. Cant wait to hear what some others have to say. This stuff gets me all excited just thinkin bout it

I had (still have, actually) a K1000 for many years and absolutely loved it! I don't really use it anymore, since I've gone digital, but if you're going to do film, it's a great student camera, and incredibly durable.

I'm not familiar with all four but the K1000 is a classic :)

I dont mean to sound repetitive but would you mind telling me how much you paid for it and if it needed any repairs when you bought it? Im just trying to get some general price info cuz thetes not really any camera shops in my area. :/

Id be happy if I could find a spotmatic or k1000. I would probably never buy another camera in my life, just collect a bunch of lenses for em :p

Awesome :) may I ask how much you paid for it and if you needed to repair it at all?

Err...No; what I paid for it really won't help you. When I say I've had it for many years, I mean MANY years...like, more than you've been alive. Significantly more. :lol:

I bought it NEW, back in...umm, I don't know, '84 maybe, possibly even before that. But what MIGHT help you is that in all the time I've had it--and I was actively using it up until about 3 years ago--I NEVER had to have it sent in for any sort of major repairs. I had a local camera store that would do some cleaning, etc. to it every great once in a while, but I never even had to have anything replaced on it. The K1000 is just one rock-solid little camera.

Matter of fact, I'm sitting here now, wishing I had a roll of film for mine. And a non-dead battery. ;)

Oh haha well thanks for the honesty :p Ive been worried about batteries with buying an older camera. Are batteries hard to find for the k1000?

No, the older cameras, or at least the K1000, didn't use all the fancy, 'specialty' batteries like today, where the battery is different for Every. Single. Camera. It's a mostly manual camera, battery just operates the meter, if I recall, and it's just a standard watch battery. Mine says Energizer 357/303.

I have a K1000 that i have had 15 years and still works perfectly today.....it has taken some great pics of the kids..

one thing....the manual light meter needle inside gets sloooooooooooow when its cold outside....sometimes wont work, till the temp come up some.

Hmmmmm thats interesting. Guess ill have to bring some of those hand warmer packets with me if I plan on doing some winter shooting :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back