HELP! 5D Mark II (Body Only) v. 7D Mark II (Lots o' goodies)

beccaf91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have around $1000 tucked away for upgrades; had it reserved for lenses but I really need a body that offers more than 10MP for prints. (I think so, anyways.)
I currently have two offers on the table;

$750 for a Canon 5D Mark II Body (Shutter Count 8,000)
I forgot; external battery pack
or

$1000 for all this (I copied and pasted from the email I was sent)
Canon eos 7d mark II (Shutter Count 5,000)
Canon backpack
Prime lense canon ultrasonic 50mm 1.4 g
Canon 75mm to 300mm ultrasonic 3.5g
Yongnuo speedlight yn568ex II with case and stand
Yongnuo yn622c II ettl wireless flash trigger transievers x2
Professional white balancer expo disc 2.0
A light meter for ambient light and flash
sekonic flash L-308s Camera tripod. And a neewer flash speedlight stand with neewer 32inch softbox Also a white umbrella and a black umbrella comes with stand hookup to mount all 3 on the flash stand. 2 SD cards 32gb and 16gb
All wires needed mini hdmi as well and lens cleaning kit

I really want to go full frame and the $250 I would save would give me enough for the 85mm lens I've been eyeballing. Then again; all this lighting gear and an upgraded 50mm.
What to do?

Last edited:
That's tough one. The 5dmkii is a good older body and that 85mm f/1.8 would be a killer combination.

The question is would the 50mm f/1.4, the speed light, expo disc and the sekonic L-308 be something that would make the difference and sweeten the pot for the 7dmkii?

Both are at a solid price, but it sounds like you'd rather have the 5dmkii. what do you currently have?

That's tough one. The 5dmkii is a good older body and that 85mm f/1.8 would be a killer combination.

The question is would the 50mm f/1.4, the speed light, expo disc and the sekonic L-308 be something that would make the difference and sweeten the pot for the 7dmkii?

Both are at a solid price, but it sounds like you'd rather have the 5dmkii. what do you currently have?
An EOS 400D. LOLOLOLOLOL. The guy just dropped the price on all the 7D Mark II stuff to $850 so I feel like I have to take it now. I can look at full frame next year.

Yes, 7D Mark II + 50mm/1.4 + 70-300mm+ Sekonic meter + tripod+backpack+ Speedlights for $850....YES!

Yes, 7D Mark II + 50mm/1.4 + 70-300mm+ Sekonic meter + tripod+backpack+ Speedlights for $850....YES!

I know! I'm really excited to get the lights! I can read all the articles and watch all the tutorials in the world; but there's nothing like actually getting them in hand and practicing! :D

If you are used to APS and are happy with APS then there's no reason to switch. 7D is a solid body (to say the least), one of Canon's best IMO.

I know! I'm really excited to get the lights! I can read all the articles and watch all the tutorials in the world; but there's nothing like actually getting them in hand and practicing! :D

Both are excellent cameras, but since you don´t seem to have any lights, go for it - you can sell one or both lenses in case you don´t really need them and have an even better bargain.
7DII is also much faster in Auto Focus Speed, has more frames per second and is also much better in regard to exposure metering. With my 5DII I always use manual exposure.

The 7D is a great deal because of everything that comes with it, but keep in mind that all of that extra gear isn't completely necessary to make exceptional and professional quality photos. If you get it, try to take some time to improve your skill without using the extra speedlites as well. It's good to be proficient in both artificial and natural light.

The 7D is a great deal because of everything that comes with it, but keep in mind that all of that extra gear isn't completely necessary to make exceptional and professional quality photos. If you get it, try to take some time to improve your skill without using the extra speedlites as well. It's good to be proficient in both artificial and natural light.
Oh yeah, I know. I prefer natural light but the lighting gear would be good for indoor venues as well. It would have helped a ton at the birthday party I was at yesterday; it was inside with very little natural light.

Lighting gear is just as good outside as inside. One of my biggest skill advancement in photography happened when I got serious about flash photography (Derrel may have had something to do with the inspiration for that, tip of the hat to you , man), and learning to balance light forced me to confront my basic ignorance about how light actually works in photography. In fact, in retrospect, it is probably even more important than the photo gear, as it allows you to create the mood, tame nature, put the sun in its place, and exercise control over the dark side (also known as shadows). Keep in mind that the best way to REALLY improve the photography is to upgrade the wet software, located between your left and right ears. Learning even the basics of how to use the "artificial" lights allowed me to understand natural light better, and allowed me to help it out when needed. That lighting gear isn't just for interiors, it's a opens a barn-door of possibilities and capabilities.

I had both of these camera at one time... I didn't keep the 7D MII very long, for whatever reason I just couldn't get tack sharp pictures with it, not like I did with the Canon 5D MII..... I know a few people had this same issue as I did but then again others love that camera and get great results....The 7d is a serious wildlife camera and gives you the 10fps, great for actions but if you don't need the fps of the 7D Mii I would go with the 5D Mii for image quality and high iso.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back