Help a newbie with big dreams to find the proper equipment

That's right there is no answer, beyond what the individual eventually decides. I like to point out my opinions based on my experience are to help the OP decide, and not to tell them what to do or what they should think.

Maybe some ideas from the forum will help avoid some early lessons that someone might learn by trial and error on their own, and save them some money. (something like, the lens is the eye of the camera and many cameras have the identical sensor... you are paying for dials and features.) That's why I say, a lens will last longer than a camera. Pick a good one, instead of deciding full frame or crop, or top of the line or Prosumer.

Prosumer crop cameras are just fine.

I guess I'm a snob (that's me saying that not someone else) I still think a prime or an L lens will make better sense, last longer and help make better photos, than "good enough", that isn't sealed, isn't as durable, plastic mounts or gears, and isn't as sharp. The better lenses aren't just more expensive because they have a higher price tag. :encouragement:

Another answer is always, how much do you have and how much do you want to spend, because that's a guiding factor.

Cameras_Auction_Nov_2021.jpg

Last weekend. I got a 50-D for $60 and a Canon lens 28-135 for the same. That was my choice. Another guy bid $25 with no one else raising, he took the Nashika, a 20-D and some others, maybe five. I took a Nikon F with a new camera bag, the other 20-D and a 35-105 for some fun. $25 each. The next these came up, someone else bought "everything left on the table" for $140. That included digital Nikon Coolpix, Lumix a few pretty nice ones, D10 and D40 and others. I just can't wait to ask the guy what he's going to do with his instant camera collection.

canon-50-D-used.jpg

Not a bad deal $120 for mid-level camera and mid-grade lens with a 16GB Kingston CF card. Low shutter count was a surprise. Last camera to use CF and last one to use BP-511A which I have many. Personally 15MP is fine.

I think we didn't mention that sometimes, someone can save money, if buying carefully on the used market, but that has all kinds of pitfalls. Lots of very serious hobbyists, will sell their old, to get the newest model. Like the people jumping into the new Z9. Maybe a buyers market right now for last years Nikon DSLR?

So many options with cameras these days. Ultimately, it's not the camera that makes the image but the heart and soul of the photographer. Most sensors are on par.

The best advice to 'What's the best camera?' The one you have in your hand.

• Sad
Reactions: ntz
So many options with cameras these days. Ultimately, it's not the camera that makes the image but the heart and soul of the photographer. Most sensors are on par.

The best advice to 'What's the best camera?' The one you have in your hand.
as the motivation speech good, as a input to a technical question on techical/photography forum worthless .. but don't worry and welcome on the board !!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back