HELP !!! Canon 30D suddently shut down

rp1600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was shooting a senior portrait sessions yesterday and with about four or five shots left to go, my 30D just shut down. I think I might been changing the ISO setting at the time. I quickly changed out batteries to some fully charged ones and still no luck.

The small orange lamp below the big wheel on the back blinked on when i inserted the new batteries, but nothing showing up in the menu, in the display screen on top, etc.

I'm hoping i accidently pressed a sleep or "coma" button, but not sure. :)

Anyone experience something similar or hear about anything like this ... please help.

I've heard a few reports of cameras doing this. 20Ds, 30Ds...and others. It's usually undiagnosed and the problem usually just disappears.

I've had a few instances where one of my 20Ds will lock up and not respond to control/input...but just turning it off and on again usually does the trick.

Hmmmmm. Well as of last night, it still wasn't coming back on ... I'll give it a rest today and hopefully tonight she'll wake up. :) thanks

I've had similar problems with Xt. The other day I went to change my Tv setting and it just went higher, never lower, pulled out the batteries let it rest and then it was ok.

A few things you might try.

Take the batteries out and leave them out for a while (maybe use a different one). Maybe even take out the small memory battery (where ever that is).
Also, make sure the lens contacts are clean and the battery contacts and even the memory card slot.

It sounds to me like your connection for your power supply has failed. It's not un-heard of, just not common. That little orange light is not a good sign. I would have it checked out at your local camera store to be on the safe side before sending in to Canon. This is something that is covered under your manufacturer's warrenty. (If you are still covered under it)

I had the same problem with my 20D when I just purchased it from Cameta Camera. Took it on a trip, shot maybe 100 or so shots before the screen went dead. Are you still able to take photos? With my problem, I was able to still shoot with, but not able to review shots, adjust menu, etc. I tried changing the battery, plugging it in directly with a power cable, etc. Still nothing. Since it was under warranty, I just sent it back for a replacement.

Well I spoke with Canon Monday and received my return shipping label last night. I have to send it back for a replacement.

The camera was completely dead. Couldn't shoot, adjust men or anything. Tried four different fully charged batteries.

The tech guy couldn't tell me what he thought was wrong and said to just end it back. Still under warranty so it means I'll be without for a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the replies.

take batteries out, and then take card out and take lens off... clean contacts and then reinsert lens, batteries, and lastly card. check all contacts... 99% of the time that will fix it...

having a B grip amplifies the problem, happens once every 4 months on my 20D ......

I've had this happen to my Canon 20D. I took it out in semi cold weather (in the upper 30's F) to do some wedding portraits then back in to the warmth of the reception site. At least that is what I think triggered it. I had to use back up equipment. It ended up fixing itself although I have since upgraded to a 5D I haven't had any problems since.

Most reactions

Back