Help! Emergency!

Royal Photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Oh please I hope you can help me, I have a photo that isn't the right ratio for an 8x10 to be printed as one without losing information. Can this be done? The place I am ordering it from will let me check the crop zone before submitting the order but I want to be prepared before hand!

Thank You

Last edited:
Cropping a 2:3 ratio image to a 4:5 ratio is not difficult at all. In fact, it's sort of the only way to get 8x10s (16x20s, 20x30s, etc.) from either an APS-C sensor or a 35mm sensor or negative.

This ratio should be very easy to crop to in your organizing/editing software. What software are you using?

Photoshop CS3. I changed the aspect ratio to 1.25 and it really stretched the photo, when I tried to crop for an 8x10 after changing the aspect ratio it still wouldn't fit. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Will the photo have the stretched look to it on print? What the heck??

Use the crop tool in Photoshop.

There is a pull down list of presets, choose 8 x 10 @ 300 PPI (or just enter that into the fields). Then use the crop tool on your image. The ratio will be locked but you can adjust the size.

If you don't want to loose any information, you can add black borders to the long sides of the photo to make the correct aspect ratio. I don't have photoshop on this computer, but I believe the crop tool allows you to go bigger than the photo to accomplish this.

Most reactions

Back