Help for a suitable monopod.

earthian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apologise if this has already been discussed. ( Did a preliminary search but did not get what i wanted)
I am a amateur photographer and i like photographing nature (landscapes, birds, wildlife). I use my Nikon D3s and 600mm f4 lens with a wimberley head attached to a K35 clamp on the jeep's side bars or with a bean bag.
I have a Gitzo 3542LS but find it cumbersome on safari trails. I would like a monopod with a suitable head. Would appreciate suggestions. i have eyed the Gitzo 5541 and the 5561T but would like the right solution considering the following:
  • My visits would be 3-4 times a year.
  • Weight restrictions on travel.
  • Should be available in India.

Either of the Gito's listed would work. I would go for the 5541 personally. You have a perfectly good head in the Wimberley. I use that combination at air shows and flying birds. Otherwise go without a head. Your lens should have a collar. Attach it with that.

Otherwise go without a head. .
The point i was mulling upon was for birding, it would help to have a swivel head. But i am open to suggestions.
The Wimberley head has a panning base on it if that is what you are talking about. If you are talking about a ball head, a ball head defeats the purpose of the monopod once you flop it over and the rig is no longer centers over the monopod. If you are talking about being able to re orientate from landscape to portrait then with a long lens that is done from the lens collar and with short glass you either want to use an area-swiss L bracket on camera or get something like the Better Bracket swivel mount. I use L brackets since all my QR heads are area-swiss.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back