Help! I don't know where to go next.

sidigirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I take a lot of pictures of my boys and their team mates riding and racing road and track bicycles. I currently have a Canon 60D with a kit 100-300 zoom and no tripod. I'd like to
upgrade the lens and buy a tripod this summer but am at a loss where to start. I see the tripod being purchased before any new lenses.

Lighting at the races is usually out doors during daylight in dry overcast to sunny conditions. I'm not sure what to budget for each purchase. I would rather wait and get the right equipment while I wait and learn with what I have than make bad purchases and have to replace what I get.

I'm not interested in making a living in photography, just having fun and developing my skills for now. There is quite a difference in price between mid level to high end tripods and heads, not to mention the differences in lens prices.

I should add I use my zoom lens far more than the 50mm, but I use both. I can see where more zoom would be helpful as well.

I just bought a Velbon EX-530 tripod at Fry's for $40. Same one on Amazon is $70. For the money, I think it's a great deal.

EX Series of Velbon

You can pick up a used 70-200 F4L for a few hundred dollars. Fantastic lens with a great price tag. and the Manfrotto 055XProB is a good sturdy tripod for a little over $100.

You can pick up a used 70-200 F4L for a few hundred dollars. Fantastic lens with a great price tag. and the Manfrotto 055XProB is a good sturdy tripod for a little over $100.

This is what I was going to recommend. The f4 70-200 is an amazing lens for the price, and if you don't need the 2.8 then it would be a good fit for you. I have a tripod, but it collects dust. I can't sit still long enough to keep it on there. I guess that is the ER nurse in me.

You might consider a monopod. It sounds like your subjects might require a lot of mobility from you, and a monopod could be a better choice for you.

amolitor gave some pretty great advice too. You could get a stable enough monopod from Calumet for about $35. Works pretty well. One thing with the 70-200 F4 is that it doesn't come with a tripod mouning ring. You can pick up a third party ring from ebay or amazon for next to nothing too.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_7104_5_section_monopod/ck7104

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=70-200+F4L+tripod+ring

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-055...=UTF8&qid=1363788339&sr=8-1&keywords=055xprob

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You have a good kit lens. Your approach is right on: improve with what you have before your images demand new equipment. Invest in education before equipment. I would get the tripod before a lens.

Thanks all for your replies.

I'm seriously considering these tripods

Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs 055CXPRO3

Manfrotto 055XPROB 3-Section Tripod w/ 322RC2 055XPROB,322K B&H

I'm still not sure which ball head to get. It will all depend on how much over time I can get and how long I want to wait.

Well if those are your considerations than I wouldn't think you would mind spending a couple hundred on a ball head too. If thats the case check out reallyrightstuff.com they make some of the best IMO. Honestly tho you said you aren't interested in making a living in photography so you probably don't need a carbon fiber tripod and for shooting the races as you described you really should be getting a monopod as already suggested by Amolitor and Elngerson. Dude has a dirt bike pic for his profile pic so i bet he knows what he is talking about. Shooting from a tripod is SLOW PACED!! I would go with this set up if I was you.

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 680B Monopod 4-SCTN Replaces 680 (Black): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 234RC Monopod Head Quick Release - Replaces 3229: Camera & Photo

But thats just my opinion. Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm puzzled why you feel the need for a tripod just yet. Trying to catch bicycles racing, while not high speed, probably doesn't require a tripod. Thinking you might want to do some panning shots (following the bicycle movement while the shutter is open, eg, long exposure time, slow ISO, etc), yes, a tripod would be a good thing, but with the lower speeds of bicycles, I'd give it a shot, or 50, doing handheld panning. You might be surprised at the quality of your results without going broke buying a tripod and ballhead at this time. Amolitors' suggestion of a monopod might be a better solution. For what it's worth, like KathyThorson, my tripod rarely gets used for other than still-life photography or nighttime shooting outdoors. My monopod gets used for almost all low light indoor shots due to ease of moving from one spot to another in a church event.

I think I'd go with EIngersons' suggestion of a 70-200 f4L. The image quality improvement will be noticable. But if you need a focal length closer to 300, then the 70-300 f4-5.6L would be a significant bump in cost, but the results are worth it, in my estimation. And, as you are using a 60D, the narrower angle of view on a crop body camera would give an apparent "added reach" to the lens making it seem like a 112-480 lens. Additionally, going with L lenses gives you the option of a future upgrade to a full frame camera without having to replace your glass at the same time. I made the 60D to 5D3 move 4 months ago and had prepared the way by replacing EF-S lenses with EF lenses first.

There are some other aspects of photography I'm interested in. I live in a quirky city surrounded by beautiful landscapes, even in the middle of the city and I have shaky hands. I was trying to photograph a bridge and noticed that when I tried for longer exposures I was having issues holding the camera still.

When I figure out just what I want in a monopod I will get one. I see that happening sometime before August.

I'm holding off on the lens because I use the longer aspects of my current lens when I'm at races. I want to make my upgrades count as much as I can buy buying right the first time.

There are some other aspects of photography I'm interested in. I live in a quirky city surrounded by beautiful landscapes, even in the middle of the city and I have shaky hands. I was trying to photograph a bridge and noticed that when I tried for longer exposures I was having issues holding the camera still.

When I figure out just what I want in a monopod I will get one. I see that happening sometime before August.

I'm holding off on the lens because I use the longer aspects of my current lens when I'm at races. I want to make my upgrades count as much as I can buy buying right the first time.
Very wise, something that most people don't do.

Before buying a tripod you should read this. Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

Each of us shoots differently, so what may work for me may not work for you. But let me share my experience. I've been shooting for 40+ years and have always had a tripod of one kind or another, partly because I like shooting macro, and partly because I rely on long-exposure during the dark corners of the day to get enough light. In the past 6-7 years, I've made a very conscious effort to improve the technical side of my photography, but this moved me into the direction of thinking about the shots before I make them. When I joined a local photo club, I was surprised (in a good way) at the quality of the imagery that was being shown during member nights, and at the weekly competitions. Many members told me that for them the tripod was an essential tool that allowed them to set up the shot, and then carefully examine it, expecially the edges, for extraneous stuff that is often overlooked when concentrating on the main subject. This really slows down the shooting process, but at the same time, it makes for a more carefully crafted landscape or still life, or fauna/flora image. Really not useful when tracking action, but then not every tool is useful under every circumstance.

Oh, another side benefit of using a tripod - when you haul it out and set up - everybody around knows you are a "serious photographer". Plus you can trip people you don't like and have an excuse.:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks, I have read Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan which is one of the reasons I'm spending more on a tripod than I ever thought I would. My last tripod was lost in a move or my divorce, which is sad because it was a gift from my grandmother when I was in college.

I take my camera every time I go to the velodrome because you never know who will be out there. (I've run into cycling's elite when out there for practice.) Track cycling in Oregon is enough of a niche that I can easily set up a tripod to shoot the corner of my choice for state championships and never be disturbed.

I have another question. Alpenrose Velodrome is a big gray, reflective dish that radiates heat and light into center field with incredible glare. I think I need a filter for most shots, especially during mid day. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm thinking a polarizing filter would be good, but are there other types I should consider?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back