Help in developing work flow.

bahandi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First and foremost, I'm am aware that this picture is lacking in many aspects :lol:

I am still very new to photography, so some critique would be appreciated.

What I am looking for, though, is where do I start in trying to improve my photos in post? This, for example, is one picture that I would like to clean up to give to my mom and my brother (the kids are his). I realize that it may look like a simple snapshot, but with my limited experience, I see this as a rather nice portraiture of my mom, niece and nephew.

A majority of my pictures are noisy because I find myself shooting at 1600 even with my 50mm 1.8. I've yet to purchase a flash, so my options are limited.

Would anyone be willing to at least break down a simple workflow for me? Ie. noise reduction>layers>"cut out" subject>blur>etc, etc.?

IMG_0335.jpg

Do you mean an automator for a program that will edit the photos for you? What kind of workflow are you wanting? Because I can make that kind of automator, but I would need you to download a program and download a file that I make.

Do you mean an automator for a program that will edit the photos for you? What kind of workflow are you wanting? Because I can make that kind of automator, but I would need you to download a program and download a file that I make.

Thanks for the offer. But as I'm so new to photography, I want to be able to learn how to process my pictures as well. That's why I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea as to where to start. I've been trying to understand photoshop, but playing with it is the only experience I have with PS.

Thanks for the offer. But as I'm so new to photography, I want to be able to learn how to process my pictures as well. That's why I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea as to where to start. I've been trying to understand photoshop, but playing with it is the only experience I have with PS.

Youtube is your friend ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=How+to+edit+photos+in+photoshop&search_type=&aq=f

YouTube/Google was going to be my last step.

Actually, google was the first thing I did. I found this little tutorial:photoSIG » Digital Post Processing Example: Rescuing a Poor Photo. Was hoping other people might have something to offer.

If there are no other replies or attempts to offer advice, I'll probably start with what I found.

Thanks! :D

I am not really sure where to start to try to help you. I can tell you what I do to process my pictures.

I download to Lightroom, make whitebalance and exposure and color adjustments there. For probably 90% of my pictures I am done. For others I take them to Photoshop and make any complicated changes there. I am just learning to use layers and I feel guilty I waited so long to learn to use them.

I am not sure why you are having to use such high ISO even with your 50mm 1.8.
Are you using the manual settings on your camera or Av, Tv modes?

As for the picture above, don't apologize for needing to keep the shot, sometimes it happens that the best shot you get isn't very good but still the people in it are what is important. I do that a lot especially with family. Just keep shooting and learning. You are doing the right thing in looking for tutorials and reading your manual.

If you have a more specific question about a photo it would be easier to help you.

I did a little editing for you here to give you an idea but it is very rough.

I brightened it in LR, as well as changed tone levels and changed the white balance. In photoshop I created a layer of just the young man and moved him over. It is very rough and needs lots more work but it gives you an idea of what can be done.

Attachments

• $IMG_0335-Edit copy_edited-2.jpg
    $IMG_0335-Edit copy_edited-2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
That looks kinda nice. I guess I really need to start at the beginning. Where-as we first learned about aperture, shutter speed, iso, I should start figuring out all there is about post processing; colour balance, and such, like you mentioned.

I shoot mostly in Av mode and at high ISO because I'm so scared that I'll miss a shot or the kids will get too restless. I've got a long way to go. Thanks for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back