Help in the lens maize

Doucette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Despite reading masses, I am still utterly confused so please help. I have a Nikon d3100. In January we are going on a safari. My wife wants a 70-300. Lots of money. Most of our pics are taken on our 6 months trips on the French canals and waterways so lots of scenic stuff and most of the nature is pretty close. Of course there are occasions when distant churches buildings and stuff make a zoom desirable. My quandary, The Nikor 55-300 is so much cheaper. I think I realize it's not as good clearly but as a learner driver which should I plump for. And what of mention, the tamron option. Is the 70-300 too much too young for me and worth the extra money or will I be better served all round with the cheaper option. Not massively worried about the issue with focus and polarisers on the 55-300 which I have read about but should I be as yet to learn as to wether I need to use polarisers on the safari. Guess that's another thread starter? I may be here all day! Have a good one and thanks for looking.

maze not maize of course!

Last edited:
Definitely spend the extra money for the 70-300; it is a superior lens and will stand you well in the long run!

Used within it's limitations Nikon's 55-300 mm lens will do the job. Used outside it's limitaitons your results will likely be disappointing.

The Nikon AF-S 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED lens is one of Nikon's best lens values.
Nikon also offers the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G, being so very inexpensive, it is not a very good lens.

Third-party lens makers have to reverse engineer the lens to camera communication dialog. Camera makers do not provide 3rd party gear makers any of their proprietary information.
As reported from time to time here in TPF's forums, that lack of access to proprietarty info sometimes causes forward compatibility problems for 3rd party lens owners. Third-party lens owners then have to send a lens back so it can be re-chipped.

Also at issue is that in order for 3rd party lens makers to sell lenses for less than camera maker lenses, a variety of cost reducing measures have to be taken.
One measure they employ is to use a broader range of tolerances. Consequently some examples of a specific 3rd party lens model are good, some are just OK, and some are not so good.
When you buy a 3rd party lens it can be kind of like a lottery.

The Nikon 70-300 VR is excellent, but the 55-300 VR will serve your needs very well.
So if the buget is a concern, you'll love the 55-300 VR. Look for a refurbished one with adorama, cameta, etc.. and save a ton!!!

Most reactions

Back